[RFC] Remove abbreviations for usability purposes

Note: We are moving the topics of this forum and it will be deleted at some point

Publish your own request for comments/change or patches for the next version of phpBB. Discuss the contributions and proposals of others. Upcoming releases are 3.2/Rhea and 3.3.
MichaelC
Development Team
Development Team

[RFC] Remove abbreviations for usability purposes

Post by MichaelC »

Problem
A number of end users won't necessarily know what abbreviations like ACP or UCP mean straight out of the box.

Suggested Solution:
Replace current instances of ACP and UCP (and any other abbreviations that are found) with their full expanded form.

Related Previous Changes:
Changing CAPTCHA Settings to Spambot Countermeasures
Formerly known as Unknown Bliss
psoTFX wrote: I went with Olympus because as I said to the teams ... "It's been one hell of a hill to climb"
No unsolicited PMs please except for quotes.

AmigoJack

Re: [RFC] Remove abbreviations for usability purposes

Post by AmigoJack »

+1 for the idea, but
-1 for the chosen approach.

I.e. substituting the acronym "CAPTCHA" with the vague words "spambot countermeasures" will help those who lack the understanding, but it will unnecessarily complicate the act of finding the right spot for advanced users. Also the vB software already has the term "User CP", so it's not that unknown.

Why don't we use this approach, so no information gets lost?

Code: Select all

'UCP'=> '<abbr title="User Control Panel">UCP</abbr>',
  'CAPTCHA'=> 'Spambot countermeasures (<abbr title"Completely Automated Public Turing test to tell Computers and Humans Apart">CAPTCHA</abbr>)', 
Oh yeah: in a consistent world also acronyms like URL, FAQ and UTC should be considered.

callumacrae
Former Team Member

Post by callumacrae »

First, is this thread about abbreviations or acronyms? They're not the same thing.

The <abbr> tag shouldn't be used for acronyms. The <acronym> tag was deprecated a while back.
AmigoJack wrote:UTC
More people know what UTC is than Coordinated Universal Time.
Made by developers, for developers!
My blog

imkingdavid

Post by imkingdavid »

Doesn't the title attribute display a popup upon mouseover? No need for a special tag, just do a <span title="User Control Panel">UCP</span>.

Anyway, acronyms abbreviate a phrase based on its initials. So no it's not an abbreviation of on word (like "abbreviation" might be abbreviated "abbr"), but it's an abbreviation of a phrase.
I do custom MODs. PM for a quote!
View My: MODs | Portfolio
Please do NOT contact for support via PM or email.
Remember, the enemy's gate is down.

Ger

Post by Ger »

callumacrae wrote:First, is this thread about abbreviations or acronyms? They're not the same thing.

The <abbr> tag shouldn't be used for acronyms. The <acronym> tag was deprecated a while back.
W3:
The <abbr> element represents an abbreviation or acronym.
Above message may contain errors in grammar, spelling or wrongly chosen words. This is because I'm not a native speaker. My apologies in advance.

MichaelC
Development Team
Development Team

Post by MichaelC »

This should probably only apply to things that are specific to the internet/forums/phpBB like UCP, ACP, CAPTCHA etc.

UTC, FAQ are acronyms that are used in day-to-day life and we can expect users to know.
Formerly known as Unknown Bliss
psoTFX wrote: I went with Olympus because as I said to the teams ... "It's been one hell of a hill to climb"
No unsolicited PMs please except for quotes.

Erik Frèrejean

Post by Erik Frèrejean »

Unknown Bliss wrote:UTC, FAQ are acronyms that are used in day-to-day life and we can expect users to know.
Maybe in the UK, but besides (potentially) a handful of programmers I know nobody that uses UTC on a daily basis (or even know what it means).

+1 for AmigoJack,
Use <abbr> tags and use them on every abbreviation/acroym
Available on .com
Support Toolkit developer

bantu
3.0 Release Manager
3.0 Release Manager

Post by bantu »

Initial post is too vague for me. Which language strings would be affected by this change?