Private message notifications

Note: We are moving the topics of this forum and it will be deleted at some point

Publish your own request for comments/change or patches for the next version of phpBB. Discuss the contributions and proposals of others. Upcoming releases are 3.2/Rhea and 3.3.
callumacrae
Former Team Member

Re: [RFC] Improved PM Notification

Post by callumacrae »

Popups, even JS ones, are bad.

Check the notifications RFC :-)
Made by developers, for developers!
My blog

MichaelC
Development Team
Development Team

Post by MichaelC »

I think he means like flash notifications like http://www.erichynds.com/examples/jquery-notify/ which aren't bad as they are so un-obtrusive.
Formerly known as Unknown Bliss
psoTFX wrote: I went with Olympus because as I said to the teams ... "It's been one hell of a hill to climb"
No unsolicited PMs please except for quotes.

Vinny
Style Customisations
Style Customisations

Post by Vinny »

jsebean wrote: I run Google Chrome and by default the popup is blocked, plus I'm sure a lot of other people and browsers have the same problem.
This isn't a problem, this is a browser feature.

I dont like opening popup for a reason that I know, I just see the information 1 new message. :?

But, I would like to see a very nice box information :D . Some styles in the StyledDB already has the feature like that.

jsebean

Post by jsebean »

Unknown Bliss wrote:I think he means like flash notifications like http://www.erichynds.com/examples/jquery-notify/ which aren't bad as they are so un-obtrusive.
Yes exactly something like/along those lines, a box on the actual page not a real popup.
Vinny wrote:
jsebean wrote: I run Google Chrome and by default the popup is blocked, plus I'm sure a lot of other people and browsers have the same problem.
This isn't a problem, this is a browser feature.

I dont like opening popup for a reason that I know, I just see the information 1 new message. :?
Ok not a problem but a feature. Thing is, it becomes a problem when people have PM Popup notification on, but don't receive the popup. Not everyone wants to mess with the browser/knows how to disable popups on a site to get a notification. Plus, and I'm sure others are this way, I rarely look in the PM area unless I am expecting a PM from someone, so a better notification, like Unknow Bliss mentioned, would be nice.
Vinny wrote:But, I would like to see a very nice box information :D . Some styles in the StyledDB already has the feature like that.
Link to an example? I don't browse the styles DB much.
callumacrae wrote:Popups, even JS ones, are bad.

Check the notifications RFC :-)
You mean notification box? I mean in regards to the popup that phpBB already has, should be improved upon.
-Jonah

Vinny
Style Customisations
Style Customisations

Post by Vinny »

Oleg

Post by Oleg »

Please no popups of any kind.

Senky
Extension Customisations
Extension Customisations

Post by Senky »

Well, even though I do not consider JS-enhaced pop-ups as evil, I think simple colour difference with sufficient contrast should be pretty enough. Just like notifications at facebook or github.

MichaelC
Development Team
Development Team

Post by MichaelC »

Oleg wrote:Please no popups of any kind.
There already is, thats the point...
Formerly known as Unknown Bliss
psoTFX wrote: I went with Olympus because as I said to the teams ... "It's been one hell of a hill to climb"
No unsolicited PMs please except for quotes.

Oleg

Post by Oleg »

The one that's there should then be replaced by not a popup.

If I'm not mistaken all modern browsers block popups therefore having a regular popup should be practically equivalent to having nothing at all.

Oleg

Post by Oleg »

I do agree that currently new pm count is easy to overlook with it only being bold.
Senky wrote:Well, even though I do not consider JS-enhaced pop-ups as evil, I think simple colour difference with sufficient contrast should be pretty enough. Just like notifications at facebook or github.
Seems like a good direction of thinking to me.