[RFC] AJAX Quick Edit

Note: We are moving the topics of this forum and it will be deleted at some point

Publish your own request for comments/change or patches for the next version of phpBB. Discuss the contributions and proposals of others. Upcoming releases are 3.2/Rhea and 3.3.
brunoais

Re: [RFC] AJAX Quick Edit

Post by brunoais »

marc1706 wrote:I've been working on more than one Quickedit MOD for a while now.
That's what it currently looks like:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X8AkYLQTwO4

BBCode is not necessary but a lot of people asked for it, which is why I added it.

I pasted the code that is running all that here:
https://gist.github.com/2352689

Not sure if I missed something but that should be all.
I also pasted the whole jquery_functions.php (unnecessary parts have been stripped) so you can actually see what the variables are doing what.
It's definitely not perfect but should do the job.
WOW *sparkling eyes*!
We have a perfectly complete code. we could use that!

callumacrae
Former Team Member

Post by callumacrae »

marc1706 wrote:I've been working on more than one Quickedit MOD for a while now.

BBCode is not necessary but a lot of people asked for it, which is why I added it.

I also pasted the whole jquery_functions.php (unnecessary parts have been stripped) so you can actually see what the variables are doing what.
I don't really like the animation, and I think that it should replace the current edit entirely, but I like it :-)
Made by developers, for developers!
My blog

Senky
Extension Customisations
Extension Customisations

Post by Senky »

callumacrae wrote:...I don't really like the animation...
It is the very last thing I would think of :). Change animation = change 1 line in code ;)

jsebean

Post by jsebean »

I like the animation, to have it not animated it's just not that inviting if you know what I mean. It's nice to have things bare bones but not too bare. I also agree, this should take place of the regular edit feature since there's not really any point in having both. Having both just over complicates things, especially new users. If not, then if you used it as quick edit, the I'd say don't include smilies and subject like it currently is otherwise it would seem pointless. If you replaced the current edit function, you would have to include the subject field as well and smilies.
-Jonah

callumacrae
Former Team Member

Post by callumacrae »

jsebean wrote:I like the animation, to have it not animated it's just not that inviting if you know what I mean. It's nice to have things bare bones but not too bare. I also agree, this should take place of the regular edit feature since there's not really any point in having both. Having both just over complicates things, especially new users. If not, then if you used it as quick edit, the I'd say don't include smilies and subject like it currently is otherwise it would seem pointless. If you replaced the current edit function, you would have to include the subject field as well and smilies.
If it is animated, I think that it should be something like a fade, not how it is currently done.
Made by developers, for developers!
My blog

Marc
Development Team Leader
Development Team Leader

Post by Marc »

Well changing the animation would be one of the easier tasks. ;)

AliasM2K

Post by AliasM2K »

Absolutely cool! :D

imkingdavid

Post by imkingdavid »

marc, For that demo you showed, it looks great. 3 things though:
1. "Advanced Edit" should be "Full Editor" for consistency with QR.
2. Do we want to allow previewing from quick edit? If so, consider doing similar to the current Quick Reply, where it automatically displays a preview when the Full Editor & Preview button is pressed (and does not show preview when the box is empty).
3. Instead of two separate buttons, how about just making the Edit button default to quick edit, and then users can click Full Editor to get to the normal edit screen.

EDIT: And a 4th
4. I'm cool with the animation, but I think most people would expect it to just instantly change without any transition. So perhaps just removing the animation for now? Or we could merge it with animation and let the users tell if they like it or not.
I do custom MODs. PM for a quote!
View My: MODs | Portfolio
Please do NOT contact for support via PM or email.
Remember, the enemy's gate is down.

DavidIQ
Customisations Team Leader
Customisations Team Leader

Post by DavidIQ »

Animations are good to let the user know something's going on. It confuses me when I do something on a website and there is something actually going on in the background but since there is no indication of that I start making assumptions like "the website's broken", "the form didn't work", etc. and then I try again. Perhaps a different indicator would be better?

imkingdavid

Post by imkingdavid »

We could do a quick loading animation, for like 1 second (you know, the little rotating circle) and then have the editor appear? But like I said, I'm cool with the animation as it is.
I do custom MODs. PM for a quote!
View My: MODs | Portfolio
Please do NOT contact for support via PM or email.
Remember, the enemy's gate is down.