[RFC] AJAX Quick Edit

Note: We are moving the topics of this forum and it will be deleted at some point

Publish your own request for comments/change or patches for the next version of phpBB. Discuss the contributions and proposals of others. Upcoming releases are 3.2/Rhea and 3.3.
callumacrae
Former Team Member

[RFC] AJAX Quick Edit

Post by callumacrae »

The edit button should, by default, replace the post itself with a textarea where the user can edit their post. There should be a "Full Editor" button, much like with Quick Reply.

Ticket: http://tracker.phpbb.com/browse/PHPBB3-10738
Made by developers, for developers!
My blog

_hsr

Re: [RFC] AJAX Quick Edit

Post by _hsr »

How about when the user click the edit button, two choices are given, quickedit and advanced edit, by which if the user has disabled javascript, the old editor is called(the edit button being the same as of now)?
There is a text here !

callumacrae
Former Team Member

Post by callumacrae »

_hsr wrote:How about when the user click the edit button, two choices are given, quickedit and advanced edit, by which if the user has disabled javascript, the old editor is called(the edit button being the same as of now)?
That doesn't sound very quick :-D
My blog

_hsr

Post by _hsr »

How about clicking the edit would start an inline edit and provide a new button to advanced edit?

A thing to note would be to reflect the changes made in inline edit back in the advanced edit, if the user chooses so.
There is a text here !

callumacrae
Former Team Member

Post by callumacrae »

_hsr wrote:How about clicking the edit would start an inline edit and provide a new button to advanced edit?

A thing to note would be to reflect the changes made in inline edit back in the advanced edit, if the user chooses so.
Yeah, that's what I meant in my first post.

I'd like to see something like this, but less ugly: http://cl.ly/0b1P280V0Z3S2j2p2O3M
My blog

imkingdavid

Post by imkingdavid »

+1 to this. For an example of how it should/could work, look at the Customisations Database on phpBB.com.
I do custom MODs. PM for a quote!
View My: MODs | Portfolio
Please do NOT contact for support via PM or email.
Remember, the enemy's gate is down.

AliasM2K

Post by AliasM2K »

callumacrae wrote:I'd like to see something like this, but less ugly: http://cl.ly/0b1P280V0Z3S2j2p2O3M
+1 to this idea! Personally, I always wanted something like this in phpBB. It is already implemented in IPB, vBulltetin, myBB etc.

A simple text area is enough for quick reply, as the user can use bbcode to format the post. Besides, it would be possible to switch to complete editor when ever required.

AliasM2K

Post by AliasM2K »

AliasM2K wrote: A simple text area is enough for quick reply, as the user can use bbcode to format the post. Besides, it would be possible to switch to complete editor when ever required.
Sorry... My bad. You were talking about quick edit, and I popped in saying about quick reply... Apologies.

Quick edit is a good idea though :)

ecwpa

Post by ecwpa »

_hsr wrote:How about clicking the edit would start an inline edit and provide a new button to advanced edit?

+1 to that!
Slightly better English than it was in 2005, still improving :D

AliasM2K

Post by AliasM2K »

callumacrae wrote:I'd like to see something like this, but less ugly: http://cl.ly/0b1P280V0Z3S2j2p2O3M
What about this? ;)