[RFC] AJAX Quick Edit

Note: We are moving the topics of this forum and it will be deleted at some point

Publish your own request for comments/change or patches for the next version of phpBB. Discuss the contributions and proposals of others. Upcoming releases are 3.2/Rhea and 3.3.
MattF
Extension Customisations
Extension Customisations

Re: [RFC] AJAX Quick Edit

Post by MattF »

AliasM2K wrote:
callumacrae wrote:I'd like to see something like this, but less ugly: http://cl.ly/0b1P280V0Z3S2j2p2O3M
What about this? ;)
No it should not be in a modal. It should take place within the post area, just as it works in the customization database at phpbb.com
Has an irascible disposition.

callumacrae
Former Team Member

Post by callumacrae »

AliasM2K wrote:
callumacrae wrote:I'd like to see something like this, but less ugly: http://cl.ly/0b1P280V0Z3S2j2p2O3M
What about this? ;)
I'm not a fan. When you start popping stuff out at the users, it disrupts the experience, and can be a bit disorientating.
Made by developers, for developers!
My blog

DavidIQ
Customisations Team Leader
Customisations Team Leader

Post by DavidIQ »

Go look at our customisations database and try editing a post. That is what Quick Edit should be doing, not some modal. That makes it less quick and it blocks other posts which you could be basing your edit on.

callumacrae
Former Team Member

Post by callumacrae »

DavidIQ wrote:Go look at our customisations database and try editing a post. That is what Quick Edit should be doing, not some modal. That makes it less quick and it blocks other posts which you could be basing your edit on.
I linked to something like that a while ago in this thread: http://cl.ly/0b1P280V0Z3S2j2p2O3M
My blog

galaxyAbstractor
Google Summer of Code Student

Post by galaxyAbstractor »

I like this idea. When a user is done editing and press the submit button, should the user be redirected to a page that confirms the edit, or would the textbox be replaced with the new post directly (and maybe some message about confirmation)?

MattF
Extension Customisations
Extension Customisations

Post by MattF »

galaxyAbstractor wrote:When a user is done editing and press the submit button, should the user be redirected to a page that confirms the edit, or would the textbox be replaced with the new post directly (and maybe some message about confirmation)?
The text box will be dynamically replaced with the new edit. No redirects or confirmations.
Has an irascible disposition.

callumacrae
Former Team Member

Post by callumacrae »

VSE+ wrote:
galaxyAbstractor wrote:When a user is done editing and press the submit button, should the user be redirected to a page that confirms the edit, or would the textbox be replaced with the new post directly (and maybe some message about confirmation)?
The text box will be dynamically replaced with the new edit. No redirects or confirmations.
+1
My blog

AliasM2K

Post by AliasM2K »

DavidIQ wrote:Go look at our customisations database and try editing a post. That is what Quick Edit should be doing, not some modal. That makes it less quick and it blocks other posts which you could be basing your edit on.
Ok. Just tried out implementing what I thought would be good...

Anyway, what about an inline text area that is hidden, which fades in on clicking the edit button? I think that would do for a quick edit...

callumacrae
Former Team Member

Post by callumacrae »

AliasM2K wrote:

Anyway, what about an inline text area that is hidden, which fades in on clicking the edit button? I think that would do for a quick edit...
You should send an AJAX request requesting the BBCode, then create the textarea and insert the BBCode into it.
My blog

brunoais

Post by brunoais »

AliasM2K wrote:

Can become too much data for a single thread. This means to the browser to download the double of the information for editable posts which can become heavy.