[RFC] AJAX Quick Reply :P

Note: We are moving the topics of this forum and it will be deleted at some point

Publish your own request for comments/change or patches for the next version of phpBB. Discuss the contributions and proposals of others. Upcoming releases are 3.2/Rhea and 3.3.
User avatar
jsebean
Registered User
Posts: 165
Joined: Wed Nov 17, 2010 1:40 am
Location: Atlantic Canada

[RFC] AJAX Quick Reply :P

Post by jsebean »

Idea from viewtopic.php?f=108&t=42707&p=236773#p236703

The idea is to remove the extra step to get to quick reply in prosilver. Also would be nice to see implementation of quick reply in jquery so there would be no refresh on a reply, some sort of smooth reply effect, like you see in BB softwares like MyBB.

EDIT (by imkingdavid): Ticket | Patch
Last edited by naderman on Fri Jul 20, 2012 9:59 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Reason: Added patch and ticket links
-Jonah

User avatar
imkingdavid
Registered User
Posts: 1050
Joined: Thu Jul 30, 2009 12:06 pm

Re: [RFC] Quick Quick Reply :P

Post by imkingdavid »

jsebean wrote:Also would be nice to see implementation of quick reply in jquery so there would be no refresh on a reply, some sort of smooth reply effect, like you see in BB softwares like MyBB.
This has already been added in the AJAX pull request, iirc.
I do custom MODs. PM for a quote!
View My: MODs | Portfolio
Please do NOT contact for support via PM or email.
Remember, the enemy's gate is down.

User avatar
callumacrae
Former Team Member
Posts: 1046
Joined: Tue Apr 27, 2010 9:37 am
Location: England
Contact:

Re: [RFC] Quick Quick Reply :P

Post by callumacrae »

imkingdavid wrote:
jsebean wrote:Also would be nice to see implementation of quick reply in jquery so there would be no refresh on a reply, some sort of smooth reply effect, like you see in BB softwares like MyBB.
This has already been added in the AJAX pull request, iirc.
Yup.
Made by developers, for developers!
My blog

User avatar
jsebean
Registered User
Posts: 165
Joined: Wed Nov 17, 2010 1:40 am
Location: Atlantic Canada

Re: [RFC] Quick Quick Reply :P

Post by jsebean »

callumacrae wrote:
imkingdavid wrote:
jsebean wrote:Also would be nice to see implementation of quick reply in jquery so there would be no refresh on a reply, some sort of smooth reply effect, like you see in BB softwares like MyBB.
This has already been added in the AJAX pull request, iirc.
Yup.
Thanks folks I thought I read something about it before but wasn't sure.

And I meant to put the RFC part guess I forgot haha.
-Jonah

User avatar
imkingdavid
Registered User
Posts: 1050
Joined: Thu Jul 30, 2009 12:06 pm

Re: [RFC] Quick Quick Reply :P

Post by imkingdavid »

Here is the Ticket and the Patch
I do custom MODs. PM for a quote!
View My: MODs | Portfolio
Please do NOT contact for support via PM or email.
Remember, the enemy's gate is down.

Oleg
Posts: 1150
Joined: Tue Feb 23, 2010 2:38 am
Contact:

Re: [RFC] Quick Quick Reply :P

Post by Oleg »

Was there a reason why quick reply was collapsed by default?

User avatar
A_Jelly_Doughnut
Registered User
Posts: 1780
Joined: Wed Jun 04, 2003 4:23 pm

Re: [RFC] Quick Quick Reply :P

Post by A_Jelly_Doughnut »

It was a compromise between the forces who did and did not want quick reply in phpBB at the time.
A_Jelly_Doughnut

User avatar
imkingdavid
Registered User
Posts: 1050
Joined: Thu Jul 30, 2009 12:06 pm

Re: [RFC] Quick Quick Reply :P

Post by imkingdavid »

I do not see the point in having quick reply if there is still the need to click a button to get to it. The whole point of a quick reply is to not have to go through that extra step, imo. Having to click to open it isn't "quick" (granted, javascript (un)hiding is faster than a new page loading, but it's still an extra step).
I do custom MODs. PM for a quote!
View My: MODs | Portfolio
Please do NOT contact for support via PM or email.
Remember, the enemy's gate is down.

User avatar
DavidIQ
Customisations Team Leader
Customisations Team Leader
Posts: 1882
Joined: Thu Mar 02, 2006 4:29 pm
Location: Earth
Contact:

Re: [RFC] Quick Quick Reply :P

Post by DavidIQ »

A_Jelly_Doughnut wrote:It was a compromise between the forces who did and did not want quick reply in phpBB at the time.
Those were fun times :P
Image

User avatar
A_Jelly_Doughnut
Registered User
Posts: 1780
Joined: Wed Jun 04, 2003 4:23 pm

Re: [RFC] Quick Quick Reply :P

Post by A_Jelly_Doughnut »

imkingdavid wrote:I do not see the point in having quick reply if there is still the need to click a button to get to it. The whole point of a quick reply is to not have to go through that extra step, imo. Having to click to open it isn't "quick" (granted, javascript (un)hiding is faster than a new page loading, but it's still an extra step).
+1. Always felt this way.
DavidIQ wrote:Those were fun times :P
:mrgreen:
A_Jelly_Doughnut

Post Reply