[RFC] ACP Search

Note: We are moving the topics of this forum and it will be deleted at some point

Publish your own request for comments/change or patches for the next version of phpBB. Discuss the contributions and proposals of others. Upcoming releases are 3.2/Rhea and 3.3.
jsebean

Re: [RFC] ACP Search

Post by jsebean »

Jacob wrote:
jsbean wrote:Also for advanced users by having search it means you have a lot less clicking to do,
I don't really think so. With 3 clicks you can be wherever you want, typing would take more time. For begginers, sure, but I think it would be better to rearrange options and modules.
I suppose if you know your way around the ACP very well it wouldn't be needed, but after using phpBB for a long time I still personally have to do a bit of clicking sometimes to find the exact place I want to go. (usually settings I don't often change).
-Jonah

Jacob

Post by Jacob »

Yeah, I agree with you that the ACP needs improvement. I just don't like the search aproach to much, but that's just my opinion, of course. :)

MichaelC
Development Team
Development Team

Post by MichaelC »

Maybe this should wait until 4.0 with the Drag and Drop folder like ACP and the Basic/Advanced ACPs.
Formerly known as Unknown Bliss
psoTFX wrote: I went with Olympus because as I said to the teams ... "It's been one hell of a hill to climb"
No unsolicited PMs please except for quotes.

A_Jelly_Doughnut

Post by A_Jelly_Doughnut »

imkingdavid wrote: The issue is that settings and actions aren't indexed afaik, so it wouldn't be easy to search for them at the moment. Also, currently there are duplicated settings (i.e. the same thing in multiple modules) which could make things confusing as well.
Right. I was thinking of some kind of full form builder for the entire ACP (something like how acp_board is done now)

Parsing out files is doable, but it would be hard to come up with a less elegant solution.
A_Jelly_Doughnut

igorw

Post by igorw »

I recall talking to DavidMJ about this feature at Londonvasion in 2008. Would definitely be very awesome, but I don't see (yet) how it can be done in a reasonable amount of time.

jsebean

Post by jsebean »

igorw wrote:I recall talking to DavidMJ about this feature at Londonvasion in 2008. Would definitely be very awesome, but I don't see (yet) how it can be done in a reasonable amount of time.
But 3.2 is a while away isn't it?
-Jonah

brunoais

Post by brunoais »

^ It is but it requires sooo much code rewritting that 4.0 is the best place.

callumacrae
Former Team Member

Post by callumacrae »

brunoais wrote:^ It is but it requires sooo much code rewritting that 4.0 is the best place.
It wouldn't, actually.
Made by developers, for developers!
My blog

MichaelC
Development Team
Development Team

Post by MichaelC »

I agree that this should be done for 4.0 to be honest, it will be a lot easier with the new acp system.
Formerly known as Unknown Bliss
psoTFX wrote: I went with Olympus because as I said to the teams ... "It's been one hell of a hill to climb"
No unsolicited PMs please except for quotes.

KnocksX

Post by KnocksX »

With 3.1 gold being at least a year away and 4.0 several years away, it would hurt phpBB to delay features that would ease people into choosing it over other software.