[RFC] New Forum permission for viewing other users' topics

Note: We are moving the topics of this forum and it will be deleted at some point

Publish your own request for comments/change or patches for the next version of phpBB. Discuss the contributions and proposals of others. Upcoming releases are 3.2/Rhea and 3.3.
Jacob

Re: [RFC] New Forum permission for viewing other users' topi

Post by Jacob »

Hi.

1. One role, based on limited.

If the permission, as I understand it, allows the people having it to read others' topics, then I'd say:

2. ROLE_DESCRIPTION_FORUM_READ_OTHERS

And f_read_others.

Edit: I forgot to say that I think this feature should be in the core. If you don't want it just don't apply this to any forum and that's it.

Pony99CA

Re: [RFC] New Forum permission for viewing other users' topics

Post by Pony99CA »

Senky wrote: +1, however it should be set to No in all roles, of course...
Agreed on the +1; I've seen numerous people request this.

However, if the permission name is Can read topics started by others (or something similar), then the default should be YES in all existing roles (except No Access, of course) to keep phpBB working like it does now.

Just to be clear, though, I presume that setting the permission to NEVER (or NO unless there's an overriding YES) will also prevent users from seeing topics started by others. In other words, there's no need for Can see... and Can read... permissions like there is for forums.

Steve
Last edited by Pony99CA on Mon Aug 06, 2012 4:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
Silicon Valley Pocket PC (http://www.svpocketpc.com)
Creator of manage_bots and spoof_user (ask me)
Need hosting for a small forum with full cPanel & MySQL access? Contact me or PM me.

Jacob

Post by Jacob »

Well, I don't know if I understand it correctly, but I think that the permission only kicks in if the forum is set to Private Only Read Own Topics Forum (or whatever you want to call it), so the default should be No.

Senky
Extension Customisations
Extension Customisations

Post by Senky »

Pony99CA wrote:...However, if the permission name is Can read topics started by others (or something similar), then the default should be YES is all existing roles to keep phpBB working like it does now...
Ah, sorry, in this case, of course YES as default...

brunoais

Post by brunoais »

It should be set as YES in the other roles.
This system kicks in when the permission is set to no. When It is set to yes, everything should work as it is now.
That happens in order to follow the idea behind all permissions in this forum. If you give yes to all, you are supposed to have no limitations.

More comments are welcome.
I'll pick 'em up all on Monday or Tuesday and count the votes and opinions.

EXreaction

Post by EXreaction »

This is going to mirror a lot of what other's have said...

I would say that "Can read topics started by others" sounds like a good description. This should then be yes for all current forum roles except No Access and Newly registered User. No Access it should be "Never" for consistency with the other options (everything is Never).

A role should be made copying Standard Access + Polls with "Can read topics started by others" set to never. As for what to call it, I would try something similar to private support/support ticket, then explain in the description that the role cannot read topics started by others, but otherwise is standard access + polls.

Pony99CA

Post by Pony99CA »

EXreaction wrote: I would say that "Can read topics started by others" sounds like a good description. This should then be yes for all current forum roles except No Access and Newly registered User. No Access it should be "Never" for consistency with the other options (everything is Never).
I forgot about No Access, and you're right about that. However, I think that it should be Yes for Newly Registered Users.
EXreaction wrote:A role should be made copying Standard Access + Polls with "Can read topics started by others" set to never. As for what to call it, I would try something similar to private support/support ticket, then explain in the description that the role cannot read topics started by others, but otherwise is standard access + polls.
I'm not sure that polls make much sense when most people won't be able to read the topic (and therefore won't be able to vote). ;-)

Steve
Need hosting for a small forum with full cPanel & MySQL access? Contact me or PM me.

brunoais

Post by brunoais »

EXreaction wrote:A role should be made copying Standard Access + Polls with "Can read topics started by others" set to never. As for what to call it, I would try something similar to private support/support ticket, then explain in the description that the role cannot read topics started by others, but otherwise is standard access + polls.
I'm against the role you selected. If it's going to be a single role, then it'll be the Standard access or the limited access. Any of the others make much less sense for this feature.

EXreaction

Post by EXreaction »

The newly registered users group doesn't have any permission settings set to yes, they inherit yes from the registered user's group. That role only has no and never permissions set to only remove permissions from the user (the ability to post without requiring approval).

I dont think it would matter that they can create polls. Whatever group of users who are authorized to read the forum may want to use polls. If polls are not going to be useful in the forum because it's for personal support or something, then the user just would not create a poll.

Pony99CA

Re: [RFC]New Forum permission

Post by Pony99CA »

brunoais wrote:I'll do anything needed for this added functionality.
So has this been started yet? It would be a great addition to phpBB.

Steve