[RFC] New Forum permission for viewing other users' topics

Note: We are moving the topics of this forum and it will be deleted at some point

Publish your own request for comments/change or patches for the next version of phpBB. Discuss the contributions and proposals of others. Upcoming releases are 3.2/Rhea and 3.3.
brunoais

Re: [RFC] New Forum permission for viewing other users' topi

Post by brunoais »

K'ay, we need a name for this feature.
I already tried "private forum" but such thing can be confused with making the forum only visible for moderators and administrators or a limited part of the staff.
The name should be simple and descriptive about what it is meant for, in this case, it's for one or two roles for the permissions system.

We need a name for the key in the language file. These are the original (thought by the yours truly :D):
ROLE_DESCRIPTION_FORUM_STANDARD_NO_OTHER
ROLE_DESCRIPTION_FORUM_LIMITED_NO_OTHER

But they'll probably fail for being too big.
In order not to be failed for being too big, they must be, at most, 38 characters long.
So I proposed:
ROLE_DESCRIPTION_FORUM_STD_NO_OTHER
ROLE_DESCRIPTION_FORUM_LTD_NO_OTHER

The Dev team didn't seem convinced.

Then a proposal arrived (not mine):
ROLE_DESCRIPTION_FORUM_READOWN
This has in account the second part of this post:
__________________________________________________________________________________________________
Should we have 2 roles or only 1 role?
If we should have only 1 role, in which current role it should be based on? Limited Access or Standard Access?
(I'll reject and attack any1 that is against making, at least, 1 role having this new system into account :twisted: (kidding ;) ))

__________________________________________________________________________________________________

We need a new language key (and a rewritten text) to appear instead of the data about "replies", "views" and "last post" in viewforum.php when the user does not have this permission. The current one is:
'PRIVATE_FORUM_FORUM' => 'It’s private, dude. And no. You cannot see who’s got the last post',
Which is way wrong (and a little joke :D ). The string (the thing on the right) needs to be completely (or mostly) rewritten, the language key does not sound correct. The "PRIVATE" part of it may lead to wrong assumptions.
By the writing of this I came up with the key:
OP_ONLY_FORUM
Please comment.

Coding specific:
Need recommendation:
In the code I have the following variable:
[url=https://github.com/phpbb/phpbb3/pull/795/files#L0R793]$unlimited_access_forums[/url]
That variable is used to know in which forums do the user have this permission and f_read permission.
The dev team thinks that this is a bad decision because we have a role for "limited access" (no irony intended). Now I need a suggestion to know which name is the most appropriate for such variable?

In SUM:
  1. We need to decide between one or two roles for this system.
  2. We need one or two new Role language key.
  3. We need a sentence to appear when the user may not see which one is the last post in that forum.

nickvergessen
Former Team Member

Post by nickvergessen »

1. I'd vote for one role only, based on limited
2. READOWN was my proposal
3. "You don't have the required permissions (for this information)" or something like that?

as for the variable/function name maybe you can turn it around and use something like get_filtered_readable_forums (btw you should use readable rather than reading, as the rest of the code uses readable). The variable would than be $filtered_readable_forums or something like that.

Also the permission itself 'f_read_other' should end with a s? f_read_others ?!
Member of the Development-TeamNo Support via PM

brunoais

Post by brunoais »

nickvergessen wrote: Also the permission itself 'f_read_other' should end with a s? f_read_others ?!
It was thought as: "That dude can read other ones' topics" (replace dude with anything you think appropriate).
This is also because I was thinking on 'f_read' as:
"That dude can read posts in that forum" (replace dude with anything you think appropriate).

rxu

Post by rxu »

Permission could be called "f_list", which means whether a user can see the list of topics in the forum or not.
If f_list is false, user would be allowed to see the forum title and enter it, but a message should be displayed (say, at the top of the forum) that only user's own topics are allowed.
If f_list is true, the forum works as usual.
Of course, f_read overrides f_list if user is not allowed to read the forum.
As for the title, probably "Can see topics list" would be it, but not ideal. This requires some explanation anyway.

naderman
Consultant

Post by naderman »

f_list already exists, and decides whether the forum is listed on index. It's also misleading because you do get to see the list of topics, just not topics created by others. So as per nickvergessen it should simply be "f_read_others" as in "Allow reading others' topics".

rxu

Post by rxu »

naderman wrote:f_list already exists
Yeah, totally missed that.
Anyway, f_read_others is not self-explaining one. Since f_read states whether a user is allowed to see and read the forum, f_read_others makes feeling like it's about some other forums or something. Probably, f_read_others_topics would sound more sensible, but looks quite long.

brunoais

Post by brunoais »

rxu wrote:
naderman wrote:f_list already exists
Yeah, totally missed that.
Anyway, f_read_others is not self-explaining one. Since f_read states whether a user is allowed to see and read the forum, f_read_others makes feeling like it's about some other forums or something. Probably, f_read_others_topics would sound more sensible, but looks quite long.
Hehehe... :lol:.
f_read_others_topics is actually the original one that never got out of my head... It was marked as fail for being too long. ;)

brunoais

Post by brunoais »

Hum....
With only 2 people voting we won't get anywhere, won't we?
Please! State your opinion! Check this forum's 239443th post and state your opinion.

Please do, I wanted this feature in phpbb3.1

brunoais

Re: [RFC] New Forum permission for viewing other users' topics

Post by brunoais »

BUMPed by request.

Senky
Extension Customisations
Extension Customisations

Re: [RFC] New Forum permission for viewing other users' topics

Post by Senky »

Finally I have read first topic and:

+1, however it should be set to No in all roles, of course...
Last edited by Senky on Fri Aug 03, 2012 7:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.