[RFC] Comments on MCP report page

Note: We are moving the topics of this forum and it will be deleted at some point

Publish your own request for comments/change or patches for the next version of phpBB. Discuss the contributions and proposals of others. Upcoming releases are 3.2/Rhea and 3.3.
brunoais

[RFC] Comments on MCP report page

Post by brunoais »

Introduction
phpBB Has a report post feature like most other forums. When a report is made, that report is accessible through the MCP.
If the moderators want to discuss the report itself, the only way to do it (according to my research) is by going to a private forum and create a topic there with a link to the report (or something like that).

Proposal
Create something like a topic that allows moderators of the forum from where the report was made can discuss the report itself.

A way to solve this
In the report view page, for instance:

Code: Select all

/mcp.php?i=reports&mode=report_details&f=2&p=1
Add a comments system under the report itself above or under the topic review.

Note: this also applies to PM reports.

Features
I was thinking it would be a good idea to do a simple text base system with no BBCode, no HTML, no emoticons, etc... The objective here is to discuss the report itself, decide what should be done to the infractor without the need of opening a topic about a report and then use a link.

All posts would be simple text 2 colon table (in aspect) with the username on the left and the text on the right. Under it the moderators would have a textarea to write the commentary and a submit button (more features perhaps?). As usual , this would also contain a subscription system that works like the subscription in topics that allows moderators to be informed when there's a new comment to that specific post.

Pros
  • No need to open a new topic when a discussion for a report is needed
  • No need to go back and forth between the report and the topic when there's a discussion about it.
Cons
  • Making a discussion for every single report may be a bit space consuming if it turns out not to have a discussion after all.
  • The moderators themselves could try to abuse this feature.

A_Jelly_Doughnut

Re: [RFC] Comments on MCP report page

Post by A_Jelly_Doughnut »

IMO this would be best for MOD-land. In my experience, less than 10% of reports are ever escalated beyond the moderator who initially looks at the report.
A_Jelly_Doughnut

brunoais

Post by brunoais »

A_Jelly_Doughnut wrote:IMO this would be best for MOD-land. In my experience, less than 10% of reports are ever escalated beyond the moderator who initially looks at the report.
I'm still in my doubts about that. I still wanted to have more opinions about if this should go ahead or should become a mod.
What you are stating does make sense anyway, nothing wrong. I just need to know the general opinion. Should I make a pull, then?

MichaelC
Development Team
Development Team

Post by MichaelC »

I think it could be quite useful for most phpBB boards to have a report comments system. 10% of reports is quite a lot on some forums. ;)

+1
Formerly known as Unknown Bliss
psoTFX wrote: I went with Olympus because as I said to the teams ... "It's been one hell of a hill to climb"
No unsolicited PMs please except for quotes.