[RFC] Remove unnecessary permissions

Note: We are moving the topics of this forum and it will be deleted at some point

Publish your own request for comments/change or patches for the next version of phpBB. Discuss the contributions and proposals of others. Upcoming releases are 3.2/Rhea and 3.3.
User avatar
A_Jelly_Doughnut
Registered User
Posts: 1780
Joined: Wed Jun 04, 2003 4:23 pm

Re: [RFC] Remove unnecessary permissions

Post by A_Jelly_Doughnut » Sun Dec 18, 2011 2:59 am

There is AND logic between the setting and whether the user has the specified permission (i.e. the user must have the permission AND the setting must be on AND the user must have censoring disabled in order to not filter words).

A few others for consideration:

Can Save Drafts (u_savedrafts) [if you can post/send PM, you can save a draft]
Can Alter Jabber Settings (a_jabber) [suggest: merging with a_server]

Perhaps merge some of the PM permissions with their posting brethren?
For example, merge u_attach with u_attachpm?
A_Jelly_Doughnut

User avatar
imkingdavid
Registered User
Posts: 1050
Joined: Thu Jul 30, 2009 12:06 pm

Re: [RFC] Remove unnecessary permissions

Post by imkingdavid » Sun Dec 18, 2011 3:03 am

A_Jelly_Doughnut wrote:Can Save Drafts (u_savedrafts) [if you can post/send PM, you can save a draft]
Can Alter Jabber Settings (a_jabber) [suggest: merging with a_server]
Added to first post.
I do custom MODs. PM for a quote!
View My: MODs | Portfolio
Please do NOT contact for support via PM or email.
Remember, the enemy's gate is down.

User avatar
tmbackoff
Registered User
Posts: 180
Joined: Sat Jun 12, 2010 3:25 am

Re: [RFC] Remove unnecessary permissions

Post by tmbackoff » Wed Dec 21, 2011 7:02 pm

I'm surprised to see team members here "yaying" the u_chgcensors removal (especially since it's used at .com). I would perfer to keep it, because an administrator might want to allow only certain users to change word censors and not others.

I'm game for the others though. ;)

User avatar
imkingdavid
Registered User
Posts: 1050
Joined: Thu Jul 30, 2009 12:06 pm

Re: [RFC] Remove unnecessary permissions

Post by imkingdavid » Wed Dec 21, 2011 10:06 pm

t_backoff wrote:I'm surprised to see team members here "yaying" the u_chgcensors removal (especially since it's used at .com). I would perfer to keep it, because an administrator might want to allow only certain users to change word censors and not others.

I'm game for the others though. ;)
Well technically, the permission does not allow users to "change" the censors, only disable it. I just don't see the need to keep people from disabling it on an individual level. But if we want to leave it in, that's fine. I just wanted to point out any permissions I found extraneous.
I do custom MODs. PM for a quote!
View My: MODs | Portfolio
Please do NOT contact for support via PM or email.
Remember, the enemy's gate is down.

User avatar
DavidIQ
Customisations Team Leader
Customisations Team Leader
Posts: 1731
Joined: Thu Mar 02, 2006 4:29 pm
Location: Earth
Contact:

Re: [RFC] Remove unnecessary permissions

Post by DavidIQ » Thu Dec 22, 2011 12:38 pm

I don't really see the point of disabling a user's choice of them disabling their own censoring settings. And no we don't use that permission on phpbb.com unless you call "using" it having it set to something other than the default (allowing users to disable word censors for themselves). You can find his setting under "Display Options" in the UCP.
Image

User avatar
tmbackoff
Registered User
Posts: 180
Joined: Sat Jun 12, 2010 3:25 am

Re: [RFC] Remove unnecessary permissions

Post by tmbackoff » Thu Dec 22, 2011 8:41 pm

DavidIQ wrote:And no we don't use that permission on phpbb.com unless you call "using" it having it set to something other than the default (allowing users to disable word censors for themselves)
I apologize, I don't remember having the option to disable word censors before I was promoted to the Support Team. I'll take your word for it. Thanks for the clarification! ;)

Oleg
Posts: 1150
Joined: Tue Feb 23, 2010 2:38 am
Contact:

Re: [RFC] Remove unnecessary permissions

Post by Oleg » Thu Dec 22, 2011 9:47 pm

I don't know about removing f_subscribe. Maybe some BOFH-type admins actually use it?

With the censors I think we can always allow users to view uncensored board (i.e. remove the permission and operate as if it was set to "yes" for everyone).

Oleg
Posts: 1150
Joined: Tue Feb 23, 2010 2:38 am
Contact:

Re: [RFC] Remove unnecessary permissions

Post by Oleg » Thu Dec 22, 2011 10:00 pm

I think the question here is whether we want to remove meaningful, if obscure, permissions vs only removing permissions that make no sense and/or are entirely pointless.

Pointless permissions:

u_pm_delete - its only use is to play a cruel joke on someone
f_print and u_pm_printpm - one can always print the page, print it without a stylesheet or print it with their own stylesheet
u_pm_forward - if one can send messages one can simply create a new message with desired recipients and content

Permissions that do have a purpose:

u_savedrafts - I almost put this into the previous category because one can always save drafts in their favorite text editor, but then I remembered that drafts take up server space.
f_subscribe - if one can't subscribe they have to physically visit the forum to see if anything got posted, which some admins may find desirable
u_pm_download - for whatever reason we treat attachments in private messages differently from attachments in posts, to the point where I believe attachments in private messages are not even allowed by default.
u_chgcensors - if one runs a board for pg-13 audience one may want to prohibit everyone from seeing censored words. Also, there are boards in competitive settings where they censor their competition, in such cases admins may not want to allow users to uncensor the board.

User avatar
imkingdavid
Registered User
Posts: 1050
Joined: Thu Jul 30, 2009 12:06 pm

Re: [RFC] Remove unnecessary permissions

Post by imkingdavid » Thu Dec 22, 2011 10:11 pm

Oleg wrote:u_savedrafts - I almost put this into the previous category because one can always save drafts in their favorite text editor, but then I remembered that drafts take up server space.
I hadn't considered that, but it's a good point.
Oleg wrote: u_pm_download - for whatever reason we treat attachments in private messages differently from attachments in posts, to the point where I believe attachments in private messages are not even allowed by default.
Attachments in private messages are harder to regulate since only the sender and recipient can see them, so I suppose it makes sense to be able to turn it off for users in PMs but not necessarily in posts as well.
Oleg wrote:u_chgcensors - if one runs a board for pg-13 audience one may want to prohibit everyone from seeing censored words. Also, there are boards in competitive settings where they censor their competition, in such cases admins may not want to allow users to uncensor the board.
If you want to prohibit it, disable the setting, but there's no need for a permission as well.
I do custom MODs. PM for a quote!
View My: MODs | Portfolio
Please do NOT contact for support via PM or email.
Remember, the enemy's gate is down.

User avatar
tmbackoff
Registered User
Posts: 180
Joined: Sat Jun 12, 2010 3:25 am

Re: [RFC] Remove unnecessary permissions

Post by tmbackoff » Fri Dec 23, 2011 11:54 pm

imkingdavid wrote:
Oleg wrote:u_chgcensors - if one runs a board for pg-13 audience one may want to prohibit everyone from seeing censored words. Also, there are boards in competitive settings where they censor their competition, in such cases admins may not want to allow users to uncensor the board.
If you want to prohibit it, disable the setting, but there's no need for a permission as well.
No, because as an administrator, I may want to see the uncensored words while prohibiting normal users from seeing them. I feel really strongly about this permission!

Post Reply