[RFC] Include mobile style

Note: We are moving the topics of this forum and it will be deleted at some point

Publish your own request for comments/change or patches for the next version of phpBB. Discuss the contributions and proposals of others. Upcoming releases are 3.2/Rhea and 3.3.
Arty
Former Team Member

Re: [RFC] Include mobile style

Post by Arty »

callumacrae wrote:Okay, I'm going to stop arguing with you, because you're clearly not reading my posts >_<
I am reading your posts, but not agreeing with you. And I will never agree with using JS for styling. That's what CSS is for.

Senky
Extension Customisations
Extension Customisations

Post by Senky »

callumacrae wrote:...Are you volunteering to develop a style that doesn't require JS and improves on Prosilver on mobiles?
Why not? Here is a whole styles team currently (at least according to what I can see) doing nothing, as any changes to template are done directly by authors of pull request themselves. We just need to finalise this RFC, create ticket, change some parts of code (determining of mobile devices; ACP Styles division; changes to DB; ...) and members of styles team can start doing brand new mobile style based on colours and look of prosilver. Or am I wrong, styles team?

brunoais

Post by brunoais »

To support Arty (whose opinion I agree)
Not the best example, still:
http://www.w3.org/wiki/What_can_you_do_ ... esponsibly
w3c is against making websites that fully depend on js to work. Js is meant to enhance user experience and not allow user experience.

Edit:
Even a better one!
http://www.w3.org/wiki/JavaScript_best_ ... chnologies

callumacrae
Former Team Member

Post by callumacrae »

Then why not just only enable the mobile style on browsers that have JavaScript enabled?
Made by developers, for developers!
My blog

Arty
Former Team Member

Post by Arty »

callumacrae wrote:Then why not just only enable the mobile style on browsers that have JavaScript enabled?
Why not just make a proper style that works on all mobile devices?

callumacrae
Former Team Member

Post by callumacrae »

Arty wrote:
callumacrae wrote:Then why not just only enable the mobile style on browsers that have JavaScript enabled?
Are you volunteering?

Style that works for nearly everyone > no style at all, no?
My blog

brunoais

Post by brunoais »

We don't do things such that:
"If you want to see this properly, turn javascript on."
Arty wrote:
+1
We just need to use the @media attribute.
callumacrae wrote:
Arty wrote:
Are you volunteering?

Style that works for nearly everyone > no style at all, no?
I believe that we don't want (at least I think so) to make a system that does not work with all browsers that are still supported by their makers. We want to make things properly with as little shortcuts as possible. That is an unnecessary shortcut.

callumacrae
Former Team Member

Post by callumacrae »

brunoais wrote:
We don't do things such that:
"If you want to see this properly, turn javascript on."
Where did I say that? I meant having a redirect to a mobile style written in JS so that non-js browsers see the normal style.
brunoais wrote:
Arty wrote:
+1
We just need to use the @media attribute.
-1 so much. For a start, it isn't possible to detect mobiles properly using media attributes, and that would increase the size of the style to the point that it is unusably slow on slow connections such as mobile connections.
My blog

naderman
Consultant

Post by naderman »

Did you consider that one can actually use @media attributes in a separate mobile style and doesn't have to use them as part of the default prosilver?

Rather than just raging against anyone who dare suggest anything other than what you want, maybe think about the other options and consider if they aren't doable as well. As they quite definitely are and have been used by others in the past. You might also have noticed that you are the only person going on about requiring Javascript, and maybe should consider if you should go along with what everyone else appears to think would be a better solution, rather than continuing this fight forever.

Danielx64

Post by Danielx64 »

callumacrae wrote:
Arty wrote:
callumacrae wrote:Sometimes, we have to move with everyone else. How many times have you seen people complaining that phpBB is years behind everything else? Maybe we should listen to them.
That's bullshit argument. Point me to a modern forum software that doesn't work without JS. You might be surprised to find out that all of them work fine with JS disabled.

JavaScript should be used only to enhance user experience. CSS should be used for styling. Period. I don't understand why you are even debating this.
On the desktop, I can totally agree with you. On the mobile, I do not. Neither do any of the other forum softwares that provide mobile styles:

Forum software mobile styles that require JS:
vBulletin
IPB

Forum software mobile styles that don't:
N/A

Forum software without mobile styles:
SMF
MyBB
XenForo
FluxBB

Um excuse me, SMF does have a mobile theme, it part of 2.0.1 here another forum:

Main link: http://phpmotion.com/forum/

Mobile: http://phpmotion.com/forum/index.php?wap2