[RFC] Stop Supporting Subsilver

Note: We are moving the topics of this forum and it will be deleted at some point

Publish your own request for comments/change or patches for the next version of phpBB. Discuss the contributions and proposals of others. Upcoming releases are 3.2/Rhea and 3.3.
imkingdavid

Re: [RFC] Stop Supporting Subsilver

Post by imkingdavid »

brunoais wrote:We should just stop supporting subsilver2, not make it disappear from the internet or the current forums.
subsilver should just be deactivated and can be activated by board admins if they want to. Just don't expect that subsilver2 will ever be kept updated. Someone has to do that job and it's not the phpbb dev members.
We're talking about upgrading from 3.1 to 3.2. people using subsilver2 might not be able to use 3.2, to some extent, because of the changes in template that won't be applied.

But then again I suppose I agree.. we cannot just force the removal of subsilver2 where it's already installed. Never mind then.
I do custom MODs. PM for a quote!
View My: MODs | Portfolio
Please do NOT contact for support via PM or email.
Remember, the enemy's gate is down.

MichaelC
Development Team
Development Team

Post by MichaelC »

brunoais wrote:We should just stop supporting subsilver2, not make it disappear from the internet or the current forums.
subsilver should just be deactivated and can be activated by board admins if they want to. Just don't expect that subsilver2 will ever be kept updated. Someone has to do that job and it's not the phpbb dev members.
Thats the plan, as soon as a develop branch for 3.2 is made, sub silver will be removed and no further updates made to it.
Last edited by imkingdavid on Fri Feb 17, 2012 6:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: fixed quote tags
Formerly known as Unknown Bliss
psoTFX wrote: I went with Olympus because as I said to the teams ... "It's been one hell of a hill to climb"
No unsolicited PMs please except for quotes.

Ger

Post by Ger »

Why not use subsilver3? Based on prosilver.
Above message may contain errors in grammar, spelling or wrongly chosen words. This is because I'm not a native speaker. My apologies in advance.

DavidIQ
Customisations Team Leader
Customisations Team Leader

Post by DavidIQ »

Ger wrote:Why not use subsilver3? Based on prosilver.
Because that defeats the purpose of having subsilver2. It's not just about keeping the look. It's also about the underlying HTML used (subsilver2 uses tables). It wouldn't make sense for us to include a prosilver-based subsilver either.

nextgen

Post by nextgen »

DavidIQ wrote:
Ger wrote:Why not use subsilver3? Based on prosilver.
Because that defeats the purpose of having subsilver2. It's not just about keeping the look. It's also about the underlying HTML used (subsilver2 uses tables). It wouldn't make sense for us to include a prosilver-based subsilver either.
+1

But all that said I agree you have to stop supporting the subsilver2
*Imagine a signature super spectacular.*