[RFC] BBCode permissions and moving to all custom

Note: We are moving the topics of this forum and it will be deleted at some point

Publish your own request for comments/change or patches for the next version of phpBB. Discuss the contributions and proposals of others. Upcoming releases are 3.2/Rhea and 3.3.
tbackoff

[RFC] BBCode permissions and moving to all custom

Post by tbackoff »

Looking at the forum permissions, I see this under the "Content" tab:
Can use BBCode
Can use [flash] BBCode tag
Can use [img] BBCode tag
If we are going to give permissions for certain BBCodes, why not expand this to all BBCodes? While we are at it, I think its feasible to move all built-in BBCodes to Custom BBCodes. This way, users can "pick-and-choose" which ones they want and which ones they don't. Forum permissions could then query the DB for all BBCodes and then present a user with the yes/no/never permissions. Since this list can get big, maybe add a new tab to forum permissions (BBCode permissions).

Thoughts? I'm interested in DB performance as well.

Rotsblok

Re: [RFC] BBCode permissions and moving to all custom

Post by Rotsblok »

Me likes the idea, but I think it is best to have it on per board/forum -> group feature... so setting it for certain groups per forum or for the whole board.
ø = 1.618033988749895...
Everything has ø in it

Pony99CA

Post by Pony99CA »

I've been suggesting this for a long time, so I agree with Tabitha (mostly). I would make a few modifications, though.
  1. I would add reorder up/down arrows for the BBCodes to allow controlling the order they're displayed on the posting page.
  2. I would add a Disable feature for BBCodes. You could use this for BBCodes in test. Also, see below. To avoid displaying "bad" BBCodes data (tags and text), allow an alternate setting which could display admin-defined text and variables. For example, if the user didn't have access to a MODERATED BBCode, trying to use it (or quote it) could be defined to display {TEXT} instead of [moderated]{TEXT}[/moderated].
  3. I would list built-in BBCodes in the BBCodes ACP page, but would only allow them to be disabled (deleting them or editing their settings makes no sense, but see below).
  4. I would add a Display Text option in the Settings area below the Display on posting page option. This would allow controlling the text displayed in the BBCode button. For example, a strikethrough code could be displayed in a strikethrough font. You might have to allow HTML to do this. (You could also allow this for built-in BBCodes, but you'd have to allow a Settings icon on the main page, too.)
  5. I would allow specifying a group or groups that can use a custom BBCode. (Built-in BBCodes would likely use the existing permission system as Tabitha suggested, although you could use this mechanism for built-in BBCodes, but that would require a Settings icon to change those.) This might be simpler for a user to grasp than using the standard permissions area, but it would not be forum-specific.
  6. Regardless of how you do the permissions, there should be a permission to block URLs (both the URL BBCodes and magic URLs). So many users have asked for this that I'm amazed that it hasn't been done yet. ;) You would still display the URL, but not as a link. The URL= tag could be forced to display the URL instead of the text.
Steve
Silicon Valley Pocket PC (http://www.svpocketpc.com)
Creator of manage_bots and spoof_user (ask me)
Need hosting for a small forum with full cPanel & MySQL access? Contact me or PM me.

phynixx

Post by phynixx »

Thoughts from someone that started using the base install, then installed Advanced BBCode Box 3 (aka ABBC3) and wondered how he ever survived w/o it.

+1 to making all bbcodes custom. AFAIK there are no core-functionality tie-ins to the base set of codes so let the board admin determine what his board has/doesn't have

+1 to implementing per-code permission structure a-la-ABBC3 (or something else if there's an even better way to do it:
Screen Shot 2011-09-23 at 1.37.07 PM.png
(114.62 KiB) Downloaded 5412 times
Screen Shot 2011-09-23 at 1.37.25 PM.png
(78.67 KiB) Downloaded 5412 times
+1 to adding per-user permissions as there's sometimes not a group for every situation

+1 for up-down arrows. I'd like to reorder a few things myself. This however is at the bottom of the "please implement" list

+1 URL blocking however I think that's probably something for another thread

+1 for per-board implementing as well however if one has to choose between boards or user/group permissions it'd be the latter

Pony99CA

Post by Pony99CA »

phynixx wrote:+1 to making all bbcodes custom. AFAIK there are no core-functionality tie-ins to the base set of codes[...]
I wouldn't make the codes truly custom (you wouldn't be able to delete them or change their definitions or HTML replacements). I'd allow changing whether their button was displayed and (maybe) the Help line.

The problem is that some codes are tied to core function. For example, the QUOTE BBCode displays the name of the poster when used, which couldn't be done with the current custom BBCode implementation (although maybe you could add a new variable, like {USER} to do that ;)).

Also, the * BBCode for list items can't be created in the Custom BBCode page because I think that BBCode names have to be taken from the {IDENTIFIER} character set.

However, we could still show them in the BBCode list. I would probably show but disable (make read-only) the BBCode usage field for the code and either completely hide or disable the HTML replacement field.

Steve
Need hosting for a small forum with full cPanel & MySQL access? Contact me or PM me.

brunoais

Post by brunoais »

I agree we need something like this.
It does happen sometimes that an administrator/moderator wants to show some text in a way other users are not allowed to that calls the attention.
We may want some users (say... with 50+ posts and no warnings) to be able to use certain BBCode for their post to standout or because we can trust them they won't use the BBCode maliciously in a wrong way.
We could also make a "force post to moderation if this BBCode is used" applied to certain members who belong to a group (example: members with less than 100 posts belong to this group,those members are not allowed to use the flash tag. If they use, the post is send to be moderated so that a moderator can decide if the use of flash is legit or not) :)

KnocksX

Post by KnocksX »

I'm adding a vote for moving all BBCode permissions to per-group on the board level (just like it currently is for using BBCode in PMs). Having these permissions on the forum level has no functional purpose. You either want to allow certain people to use it or not. Replicating these permissions forum after forum only creates confusion and extra work for the admins.
Last edited by KnocksX on Sat Aug 04, 2012 8:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

MichaelC
Development Team
Development Team

Post by MichaelC »

+1
Formerly known as Unknown Bliss
psoTFX wrote: I went with Olympus because as I said to the teams ... "It's been one hell of a hill to climb"
No unsolicited PMs please except for quotes.

Pony99CA

Post by Pony99CA »

We should also think about updating the BBCode FAQs. If somebody has disabled a standard BBCode, we shouldn't show it in the FAQs. Also, perhaps you could display information for Custom BBCodes by dumping and formatting the Custom BBCodes table at the end of the BBCode FAQs (perhaps under a Site-Specific BBCodes section).

It would also be nice if the BBCode FAQs opened in another window/tab. I lost a post because it didn't and I couldn't use the Back button (I could only get the post that I was quoting, not what I had added). :evil: Normally I'm not in favor of opening things in new windows, but this is reference material that you might want to read while posting, and if you can lose your form input, it's reasonable to put it in a different window.

Steve

ecwpa

Post by ecwpa »

I would like to suggest the addition of unique ID variables for bbcodes. At this moment I can't implement any js/css modification based on a bbcode inside a post because all bbcodes are the same.
Slightly better English than it was in 2005, still improving :D