[RFC] drag and drop image insertion

Note: We are moving the topics of this forum and it will be deleted at some point

Publish your own request for comments/change or patches for the next version of phpBB. Discuss the contributions and proposals of others. Upcoming releases are 3.2/Rhea and 3.3.
prototech
Former Team Member

Re: [RFC] drag and drop image insertion

Post by prototech »

Mess wrote:Calling it drag and drop is a little bit of a stretch
You drag a file, you drop it, and it starts uploading automatically. What exact behavior would need to be added for it to qualify for your definition of "drag and drop?"
leschek wrote:Then it must be some problem with my browser. It seems it works with IE 11, but not with Firefox Portable 29.0.1. Do I need to install some plugin to use this feature?
This should certainly work in Firefox. The only thing that would be required for it is to have Javascript enabled.

leschek

Post by leschek »

prototech wrote:
leschek wrote:Then it must be some problem with my browser. It seems it works with IE 11, but not with Firefox Portable 29.0.1. Do I need to install some plugin to use this feature?
This should certainly work in Firefox. The only thing that would be required for it is to have Javascript enabled.
It seems that Javascript in my Firefox is enabled. Checked it on a few sites (here) and all of them shows me that JavaScript is enabled. I have a new PC and maybe I forgot to install something - I use external HD with portable apps, so I didn't install many programs.

Mess

Post by Mess »

prototech wrote:
Mess wrote:Calling it drag and drop is a little bit of a stretch
You drag a file, you drop it, and it starts uploading automatically. What exact behavior would need to be added for it to qualify for your definition of "drag and drop?"
I would expect it to be dropped where I release the mouse button? Meaning I would expect it to be in the text box. Like placed inline as others have suggested.

Just providing feedback here, put the knives away. ;)

prototech
Former Team Member

Post by prototech »

Thank you for clarifying. ;) As I mentioned before, this was something that was postponed, I just haven't had a chance to get around to it. I created a new ticket for this since the old one seems to have vanished into thin air.

@leschek: Are you dropping the same file in IE11 and FF Portable? What type of file is it? Plupload currently ignores the dropped file if it doesn't have an allowed extension, without throwing an error (already reported to them, although they don't seem willing to change that behavior).

nickvergessen
Former Team Member

Post by nickvergessen »

prototech wrote:Plupload currently ignores the dropped file if it doesn't have an allowed extension, without throwing an error (already reported to them, although they don't seem willing to change that behavior).
They fixed it: https://github.com/moxiecode/plupload/i ... t-41131888
So we should update when they make the next release
Member of the Development-TeamNo Support via PM

leschek

Post by leschek »

prototech wrote:@leschek: Are you dropping the same file in IE11 and FF Portable? What type of file is it? Plupload currently ignores the dropped file if it doesn't have an allowed extension, without throwing an error (already reported to them, although they don't seem willing to change that behavior).
Yes. It is the very same file - small picture (about 350x160px and 15kB) with extension .jpg. I tried also another portable browsers (Maxthon and Chrome) and they behave same as FF portable. I really think there is something missing on my system.

keith10456

Post by keith10456 »

leschek wrote:
prototech wrote:@leschek: Are you dropping the same file in IE11 and FF Portable? What type of file is it? Plupload currently ignores the dropped file if it doesn't have an allowed extension, without throwing an error (already reported to them, although they don't seem willing to change that behavior).
Yes. It is the very same file - small picture (about 350x160px and 15kB) with extension .jpg. I tried also another portable browsers (Maxthon and Chrome) and they behave same as FF portable. I really think there is something missing on my system.
When writing a Reply or New Topic, after you click the Attachment tab, do you see the text, "If you wish to attach one or more files enter the details below. You may also attach files by dragging and dropping them in the message box."? It should be right above the "Add files" button.

leschek

Post by leschek »

keith10456: Yes I know how to use it. It works with my IE 11 (non portable), but not with any of my portable browsers (from portableapps).

afsfsdfdsf

Post by afsfsdfdsf »

So 6 years later it still doesnt work. Steps to reproduce:
1. Press the "Prnt" Button on the keyboard to make a screenshot
2. Do rightclick on the text area and select paste.

Nothing happens. Guess ill have to spend just another year for expensive forum software :?