[NEW THEME] 4. JS frameworks & approach

Discuss requests for comments/changes posted in the Issue Tracker for the development of phpBB's style.
Forum rules
Please do not post support questions regarding installing, updating, or upgrading phpBB or modifying styles of released phpBB versions. If you need support for phpBB please visit the Support Forums on phpbb.com.

If you have questions regarding creating styles please post in Styles Support & Discussion to receive proper guidance from our staff and community.
hanakin
Infrastructure Team
Infrastructure Team

Re: [NEW THEME] 4. JS frameworks & approach

Post by hanakin » Wed Aug 01, 2018 10:27 am

So its apples and oranges really. As this discussion and this forum is not talking about the current version of the software or the current theme. We are talking about how to handle the next version and a completely new theme. I just wanted to make sure that was clear. Now I understand your points and while I agree that choosing to use a framework to solve one or two things is not a good idea. If the core concept, structure, and approach are what you are after, and how you want everything to work as your standard, then your points are really not an issue. That is what this topic is really about. determining if VueJs is answering just that. I am not saying should we just use it because it allows us to do this one cool thing easier. If you are familiar with the progress of the new theme you will know that I am wrote from scratch our own custom framework for handling the CSS. To do that I sat down analyzed all that was out there and outlined what we needed and how I wanted everything to work. I determined that nothing really was a framework and meet our needs, so I went the custom route. This requires a lot of research and thought.

This topic is just a starting point to help me in making all of the decisions for and gameplan for how we are going to handle all of the JS code in the new theme which is what I am currently working on as the next step in my progress with it. I am intimately familiar with all the CSS side of things. I am not with everything in js as it's in a transitional state lately and it seems every day there is something that is flip it on its head, cause let's face it JS is volatile

Toxyy

Post by Toxyy » Thu Aug 02, 2018 9:20 am

AmigoJack wrote:
Tue Jul 31, 2018 11:23 am
Right now the navigation bar menus like "Quick links" don't work without JS, although it'd be doable thru CSS these days.
I'm an advocate for these sort of things, it makes me feel like I'm maintaining elegance while allowing them to work for non js users.

hanakin
Infrastructure Team
Infrastructure Team

Post by hanakin » Thu Aug 02, 2018 3:57 pm

Hang On js menus are a nessecary evil. CSS is not currently capable of handling menus properly alone as they do not have control over things like state and position across responsive designs let alone the ability to adapt to mobile interactions.