Prosilver redesign

General discussion of development ideas and the approaches taken in the 3.x branch of phpBB. The current feature release of phpBB 3 is 3.3/Proteus.
Forum rules
Please do not post support questions regarding installing, updating, or upgrading phpBB 3.3.x. If you need support for phpBB 3.3.x please visit the 3.3.x Support Forum on phpbb.com.

If you have questions regarding writing extensions please post in Extension Writers Discussion to receive proper guidance from our staff and community.
John P

Re: Prosilver redesign

Post by John P »

Yes tooo bad it's gone, I also really liked this.
Think to confusing is a bad reason, al the popup menu are also confusing is my believe then but in this way we never get further.

valid

Post by valid »

What about move profiles to the left again?

Jessica.

Post by Jessica. »

Octopus2 wrote:Perhaps this color? (Sorry, I´m no designer)
alternative orange icon.jpg
Eh, no. Looks worse...it's fine the way it is now.

DavidIQ
Customisations Team Leader
Customisations Team Leader

Post by DavidIQ »

PayBas wrote:
callumacrae wrote:On some other bulletin boards, clicking the title leads to the first unread post, and I actually quite like it. You can just click [1] to go the first post. Not really sure which I prefer, though.
It was implemented, and subsequently reverted, because it was too confusing IIRC ;)
It was said by a relative few that we were the only ones doing this and it was confusing...I liked it that way as well but the "compromise" was to leave the topic type icon with the functionality. This was first seen in the mobile/responsive version.

MattF
Extension Customisations
Extension Customisations

Post by MattF »

Prosilver is definitely in need of a major overhaul, but throwing piecemeal UI changes at it can be jarring, disrupts the Prosilver UI experience and is not an elegant way to truly solve or update most of its dated issues.

Many of the UI changes people keep asking for are great ideas, but not really suited for Prosilver as we know it today (it was designed pre social media era, afterall). As I keep saying, we need a new style, crafted from the ground up with new UI mechanisms in mind from the start. The goal should be to build a better, newer front end for phpBB that will look and feel like a modern forum.

Releasing a brand new and updated style is exciting, would breathe some much needed life back into phpBB and also allow all of the UI changes ever asked for here to be much more widely embraced by admins and their board's communities.

Otherwise, Prosilver may start to look like those people who keep getting plastic surgery over and over again...botched ;)
Has an irascible disposition.

Paul
Infrastructure Team Leader
Infrastructure Team Leader

Post by Paul »

Sumanai wrote:
hanakin wrote:agreed its been that way leave as is for current theme save fixing it for 3.2
Why wait 3.2 for such a small change?
Why remove such small thing while every user since phpBB 1 is used to have such icon in all default styles to go the first unread post? I am ok with removing it in a brand new style, but not in prosilver.

callumacrae
Former Team Member

Post by callumacrae »

DavidIQ wrote:
PayBas wrote:
callumacrae wrote:On some other bulletin boards, clicking the title leads to the first unread post, and I actually quite like it. You can just click [1] to go the first post. Not really sure which I prefer, though.
It was implemented, and subsequently reverted, because it was too confusing IIRC ;)
It was said by a relative few that we were the only ones doing this and it was confusing...I liked it that way as well but the "compromise" was to leave the topic type icon with the functionality. This was first seen in the mobile/responsive version.
IPB does it.
Made by developers, for developers!
My blog

valid

Post by valid »

Still like the old default VBulletin 3.8 theme. What do you think to use this as creative sample for the new theme?

Sumanai

Post by Sumanai »

paulus wrote:Why remove such small thing while every user since phpBB 1 is used to have such icon in all default styles to go the first unread post?
Because there is a large comfortable icon that does the same thing.
Sorry for my English.

hanakin
Front-End Dev Team Lead
Front-End Dev Team Lead

Post by hanakin »

@sumanai its a transition, leave it in 3.1 until community has a chance to realize that the imagesets are now links then remove the targeted icon in a supplemental release.
Donations welcome via Paypal Image