suggestion to developers: please release beta-6

Discussion of general topics related to the new version and its place in the world. Don't discuss new features, report bugs, ask for support, et cetera. Don't use this to spam for other boards or attack those boards!
Forum rules
Discussion of general topics related to the new release and its place in the world. Don't discuss new features, report bugs, ask for support, et cetera. Don't use this to spam for other boards or attack those boards!
Post Reply
balding_ape
Registered User
Posts: 64
Joined: Thu Dec 09, 2004 6:59 pm

Re: suggestion to developers: please release beta-6

Post by balding_ape »

cutaia wrote:
balding_ape wrote: I would be perfectly happy if people said "to hell with it" and went elsewhere. What do I care what software someone else is using?


Good point. Because if tons of people stop using phpBB, and flock to other BB systems, I'm sure the developers will keep updating and supporting phpBB just for you.

Obviously, you are correct. I was just making a flip comment.

That said, I don't think anywhere near "most people" are going to go elsewhere. It's possible they may, if it appears that progress has ceased for some amount of time (such as we had a couple of years ago). However, given the current status of things -- bringing on new developers, regular commits, etc. -- it seems unlikely that we will see such a drought. I don't think Twisted's concern was founded at all in that regard.
User avatar
Highway of Life
Registered User
Posts: 1399
Joined: Tue Feb 08, 2005 10:18 pm
Location: I'd love to change the World, but they won't give me the Source Code
Contact:

Re: suggestion to developers: please release beta-6

Post by Highway of Life »

balding_ape wrote:
cutaia wrote:
balding_ape wrote: I would be perfectly happy if people said "to hell with it" and went elsewhere. What do I care what software someone else is using?


Good point. Because if tons of people stop using phpBB, and flock to other BB systems, I'm sure the developers will keep updating and supporting phpBB just for you.

Obviously, you are correct. I was just making a flip comment.

That said, I don't think anywhere near "most people" are going to go elsewhere. It's possible they may, if it appears that progress has ceased for some amount of time (such as we had a couple of years ago). However, given the current status of things -- bringing on new developers, regular commits, etc. -- it seems unlikely that we will see such a drought. I don't think Twisted's concern was founded at all in that regard.
There are many many thousands of sites out there running phpBB2, and they will continue to run phpBB2 forever or until phpBB3 is released, I don’t think that is a concern, and we all know that if development stopped... well, lets just say it won’t -- there are plenty of developers willing to pick it up, so this is a moot point anyways.

The truth is, they really don’t care *that much* if people do go elsewhere.
This community is hundreds of thousands strong, it’s just not a big enough deal to sweat over. :roll:

Back to the point, I honestly could care less what they release next, I’ve switched over all my test boards (and live boards) to CVS only, so it makes little difference to me when and what they release. :D
Image
User avatar
Thatbitextra
Registered User
Posts: 72
Joined: Sun May 22, 2005 3:06 am
Location: A place where something is or could be located; a site.
Contact:

Re: suggestion to developers: please release beta-6

Post by Thatbitextra »

Highway of Life wrote: I honestly could care less what they release next

Sigh. The number of times I have read that, even just on this forum is ridiculous. The phrase is "I could not care less". Think about it. :)
</rant>
Carry on with your nonsense :P
Style: subBlack (Now updated to phpBB 2.0.22 and 5 new color schemes!)
User avatar
EXreaction
Registered User
Posts: 1555
Joined: Sat Sep 10, 2005 2:15 am

Re: suggestion to developers: please release beta-6

Post by EXreaction »

Thatbitextra wrote:
Highway of Life wrote: I honestly could care less what they release next

Sigh. The number of times I have read that, even just on this forum is ridiculous. The phrase is "I could not care less". Think about it. :)
</rant>
Carry on with your nonsense :P


Haha, I know! :D

The English language and the way it is spoken bugs me. :P

Or another one:

"They were all but eaten."

Should mean they were not eaten, but most people mean they were eaten when they would say it like that. :lol:
DPK
Registered User
Posts: 28
Joined: Thu Dec 20, 2001 5:02 am
Contact:

Re: suggestion to developers: please release beta-6

Post by DPK »

Welcome to the internet, where nothing is as it seems.
buzz
Registered User
Posts: 7
Joined: Mon Mar 12, 2007 7:06 pm

Re: suggestion to developers: please release beta-6

Post by buzz »

DocBoum wrote: Considering the huge effort over this weekend to get hold of all the bugs by assigning them to the dev team (and the bitter results in the tracker today), I do believe it would be worth the additional effort to release a beta 6. This would minimize the amount of duplicate reports, keep people from posting (sometimes really pointless reports on punctuation, wording or the state of global affairs), and could free the dev team a little from the administrative stuff. Just my 0,5ct... ;)

I totally agree with that and in addition you probably get a much larger user base testing a much more modern version of the code.
CardsFanInChiTown
Registered User
Posts: 28
Joined: Sun Dec 31, 2006 6:21 pm

Re: suggestion to developers: please release beta-6

Post by CardsFanInChiTown »

After thinking about it for awhile put me in the "release a quick beta 6" camp. Beta 5 has gotten really stale.
User avatar
MikeR
Registered User
Posts: 50
Joined: Sat Sep 13, 2003 7:18 pm
Location: California, USA
Contact:

Re: suggestion to developers: please release beta-6

Post by MikeR »

CardsFanInChiTown wrote: After thinking about it for awhile put me in the "release a quick beta 6" camp. Beta 5 has gotten really stale.

Forget it. Give me RC1.
rivaldo
Registered User
Posts: 269
Joined: Wed Feb 23, 2005 1:05 am
Contact:

Re: suggestion to developers: please release beta-6

Post by rivaldo »

Beta 6.
Shadow Reaper
Registered User
Posts: 75
Joined: Thu Apr 20, 2006 7:04 am

Re: suggestion to developers: please release beta-6

Post by Shadow Reaper »

If there is no beta 6, odds are there will be a RC2 just as a test run to ensure gold will be near enough to perfect then.
Post Reply