helping mod authors port mods to next phpbb version...

Discussion of general topics related to the new version and its place in the world. Don't discuss new features, report bugs, ask for support, et cetera. Don't use this to spam for other boards or attack those boards!
Forum rules
Discussion of general topics related to the new release and its place in the world. Don't discuss new features, report bugs, ask for support, et cetera. Don't use this to spam for other boards or attack those boards!
pentapenguin

Re: helping mod authors port mods to next phpbb version...

Post by pentapenguin »

Documentation will eventually be done. But think about it: who knows 3 the best? The devs. Who are busy making sure 3 will get out soon? The devs. So documentation will have to come later most likely. :)
phpBB.com Support Team Member and Incident Investigation Team Member
My phpBB MODs || Professional phpBB Customization, Transfers, and Conversions

R45

Post by R45 »

Most likely, it would be quicker to rewrite all mods from scratch. The internals of phpBB has changed dramatically, heavy use of OOP and better reusable functions, which should simplify modifications and even so, should be used to keep your mods more forward compatible. (When classes are bugfixed by the phpBB group, there's no need to rewrite any calls to their methods. It also allows extending classes without having to modify the original files, which should be done as much as possible to limit editing of the original files and make upgrading for users easier).

asinshesq

Post by asinshesq »

Thanks, that all makes sense. It also makes me very nervous. I've written a number of extremely long mods (e.g. tabulated survey) using code I figured out by studying old phpbb2, and I fear that I will be lost now that phpbb3 will be using new coding approaches (classes, methods, OOP, are all a foreign language to me). I guess I'll wait a while till the developers come up for air and start to document things after they release olympus before I sit down to try to figure any of this out.

Thanks for the info.
Alan

pentapenguin

Post by pentapenguin »

Don't worry asinshesq, there will be documentation it just may take a while. You might like doing a really simple MOD on Olympus for now -- it's a great learning experience! :)
phpBB.com Support Team Member and Incident Investigation Team Member
My phpBB MODs || Professional phpBB Customization, Transfers, and Conversions