The least you need to know:
- we're 6G while everyone else is a mere 2G or 3G
- Keep FINDs limited to the minimum uniqueness
- Use the IN-LINE commands as much as possible
- Avoid the REPLACE command like the plague
Mapping the Way
The phpBB MODing community has evolved to the point of using a 3rd Generation Command Set. Our MOD Authors are not only concerned about installing their own MOD but also care how their MOD will interact with other MODs being installed. This kind of thinking puts us far ahead of MODing communities from any other BB's, all of which are stuck on 1st Generation.
The key is to maintain the integrity of the core phpBB files, changing them as little as possible. Think of the core phpBB code as a map. There are distinctive features that can easily be found. Things like SQL statements, $lang variables, various looping structures, and even some of the developer's comments act as landmarks. Start changing too many landmarks in the map and suddenly you can't find (or FIND ) your way around any more.
There are three essentials keys to success:
- Keep FINDs limited to the minimum uniqueness, meaning you only FIND the fragments of the line that makes the line (or lines) unique
- Use the IN-LINE commands as much as possible, it's like performing minimally invasive surgery
- Avoid the REPLACE command like the plague, it's like performing surgery with a sledgehammer