How many programmers ?

Want to chit chat about anything, do it here ... posting here won't increase your post count (or shouldn't!). Please do not post any "phpBB" specific topics here unless they do not fit into the category above. Do not post bug reports, feature or support requests!
Forum rules
Please do not post any "phpBB" specific topics here unless they do not fit into the category above.

Do not post bug reports, feature or support requests! No really... Do not post bug reports, feature or support requests! Doing so will make Bertie a very sad bear indeed. :(
naderman
Consultant

Re: How many programmers ?

Post by naderman »

tapanb wrote:
Excellent answer..i think it can't get any better!
You need to read a bit.
The Blog wrote:Often I'm asked "Why not add other developers?". Well, I've been involved with phpBB since 1.0.0 became available. I used that board myself, well the beta actually, modifying it radically, eliminating some of the dubious pieces of code (naughty James! no looping queries, slapped wristies!) and modifying the style (not an easy task in 1.x!). The number of "developers" we've had on the team, ooff, and of them only a small proportion actually contributed. It's hilarious (now, wasn't at the time!) to look back on many of these people ... "Oh I know C++, PHP, HTML, ADA, Assembler, I've worked for NASA, ESA and single handledly wrote my own OS!" ... in each and every single case such people were generally useless. There are still bits of code in 2.0.x programmed by one or two of these former forgotten members and frequently they have been the source of issues. The time I and others wasted cleaning up their code, phhew. So I have rather a problem taking any old person on onto the team.

grrrlromeo

Post by grrrlromeo »

Being a team member isn't just about skills, it's about compatibility and trust. I run a website that I built from the ground up, and I do it for free. Sometimes I just don't feel the love from users...just a lot of "I want...", "Can you...". But still it's my baby, and I have a vision and a system. While a second coder seems like a good idea at first...then I have to think about whether or not I can trust someone not to screw up what's already there. And since I built it from the ground up I have my own sort of coding style and process so a second coder would need to learn it and understand it. It took a family emergency for me to finally break down and promote one of my moderators to co-administrator.

I also had an experience on another project for school where this girl assured me she knew HTML well. So I was to write the php and handle the database and she was to do the HTML design/layout. When she gave me the pages, it was some of the worst code I had ever seen and I had rewrite the whole damn site and correct her grammar the night before it was due. It really puts a dent in your trust when someone says they can do something, and they can't.
I can't delete my signature.

cyberCrank

Post by cyberCrank »

I also had an experience on another project for school where this girl assured me she knew HTML well. So I was to write the php and handle the database and she was to do the HTML design/layout. When she gave me the pages, it was some of the worst code I had ever seen and I had rewrite the whole damn site and correct her grammar the night before it was due.
Why yeah, but did she get an A and did she "reward" you for your hard work? :)

Martin Blank

Post by Martin Blank »

grrrlromeo wrote:Being a team member isn't just about skills, it's about compatibility and trust.
Exactly. My team is mostly hand-picked, with advice and consent (to borrow a phrase) from the rest of the team. There are members of my community that are undoubtedly skilled, but with whom I do not get along well and thus will almost certainly never be on the team.
You can never go home again... but I guess you can shop there.

neonstorm

Post by neonstorm »

You're all very good at programming :P

grrrlromeo

Post by grrrlromeo »

cyberCrank wrote: Why yeah, but did she get an A and did she "reward" you for your hard work? :)
:? In my school, in practically every class we have some sort of team project to learn how to work in teams. At the end we evaluate our teammates and ourselves as part of the grade.
I can't delete my signature.