'topic preview'?

Discuss features as they are added to the new version. Give us your feedback. Don't post bug reports, feature requests, support questions or suggestions here.
Forum rules
Discuss features as they are added to the new version. Give us your feedback. Don't post bug reports, feature requests, support questions or suggestions here. Feature requests are closed.
upsTex

'topic preview'?

Post by upsTex »

Hi,

Was there a plan to add a 'topic preview' to phpBB 2.2, where you hold your
mouse over the link to the topic, and a tooltip comes up with the first few lines
of the topic?

I heard from a friend that it was to be added, but I wanted to verify that.

- upsTex

dhn

Re: 'topic preview'?

Post by dhn »

Not added yet and I don't think that the demand is high enough to implement the feature. This should be doable with an easy modification though.

psoTFX

Post by psoTFX »

Nope, that won't be in 2.2.x

SHS`

Post by SHS` »

It (topic preview via title="") breaks (X)HTML specification anyway as line carriages should be ignored by UAs (eg: Firesomething, Opera, Mozilla).

I'm adding it as a MOD will be trivial if that's what your community wants. Though for them learning to use descriptive titles would probably be far more useful. ;)
Jonathan “SHS`” Stanley • 史德信
phpBB™ 3.1.x, Bug/Security trackers
phpBB™ Bertie Bear 3.0 — prosilver Edition!Asking Questions The Smart Way

upsTex

Post by upsTex »

Thanks for the clarification. :)
- upsTex

grrrlromeo

Post by grrrlromeo »

Abusing the title attribute is bad for accessibility. Although I'm sure some people don't care about visually impaired people trying to browse a forum, the purpose of the title attribute is to clarify what a link is for such as when an image is used or the link text just isn't very descriptive.

Screen readers read every link text, and every title for the link if there is one. While we have the ability to mouse-over or not, the visually impaired don't have the option. I have noticed that boards that do use the title attribute as a preview have a rather lengthy preview that would most likely bore or frustrate someone who is visually impaired to the point they may just leave the board after having to sit through listening to 2 or 3 topic link texts and their titles.
I can't delete my signature.

hater

Post by hater »

I hate those mouse over things anyways... They show 250 chars for 3 seconds. Good luck speed reader. :)

Plus they are annoying as all hell because generally your mouse is hovering over a topic anyways, and it gets in the way. Glad that there is also a technical reason preventing this. :)