Different Extensions .html .txt

Discussion of general topics related to the new version and its place in the world. Don't discuss new features, report bugs, ask for support, et cetera. Don't use this to spam for other boards or attack those boards!
Forum rules
Discussion of general topics related to the new release and its place in the world. Don't discuss new features, report bugs, ask for support, et cetera. Don't use this to spam for other boards or attack those boards!
svenTHX

Different Extensions .html .txt

Post by svenTHX »

Hi there,

just a short questions / discussion / suggestion about the new extensions: As far as I figured out from the latest CVS Snapshot, you're going to use .html as the extension for the styles and .txt for some email templates. - If I'm wrong just correct me...

Therefore I didn't understand the reason, but how are you / we going to avoid that this can be read out via direct http access? Do I have to disallow these for the Apache Server? Or are there any other suggestions?

Thanks so far,
Sven

Arty
Former Team Member

Re: Different Extensions .html .txt

Post by Arty »

If you want to disallow html files then put this in .htaccess and upload that .htaccess to directory "styles":

Code: Select all

<Files ~ "\.html$">
 Order allow,deny
 Deny from all
 Satisfy All
</Files>

Techie-Micheal

Post by Techie-Micheal »

You can do that, but I don't see any reason to do that. They don't contain passwords or anything like that.

Blah. CyberAlien posted the same time I did. :P

svenTHX

Post by svenTHX »

Thanks guys!

I know this... as I wrote, but why didn't you to continue using these tpl-files (which had no other use than templates and therefore has not to bereached by users via browser anyway) or simple php format?

I now, this stuff doesn't contain any vital information, but I like to keep things away from user, which are not for his eyes... ;)

Just my opinion (and I didn't expect any changes, just want to understand the reasons),
svenTHX

{o}

Post by {o} »

Some HTML editors don't know that .tpl is a HTML file and they make problems with it (for example - don't show on the file list). So .html is better extension.

geocator

Post by geocator »

and people can read tpl files from the server anyway.

svenTHX

Post by svenTHX »

geocator wrote:and people can read tpl files from the server anyway.
I know, but blocking tpl-files from users dosen't matter, but html files can have proper reasons to be shown...even if you normally wouldn't store them in the styles folder, but who knows...

Sven

Arty
Former Team Member

Post by Arty »

svenTHX wrote:I know, but blocking tpl-files from users dosen't matter, but html files can have proper reasons to be shown...even if you normally wouldn't store them in the styles folder, but who knows...
And what are those proper reasons? There is absolutely no difference if extension is .tpl or .html - it can be read same way by browsers.

q3utom

Post by q3utom »

{o} wrote:Some HTML editors don't know that .tpl is a HTML file and they make problems with it (for example - don't show on the file list). So .html is better extension.
yeah but with windows you just right click open with select your editor and then say always open with "bla bla.exe" thats what I did with dreamweaver

{o}

Post by {o} »

Not about this I told...