What browser do you devs use?

Discussion of general topics related to the new version and its place in the world. Don't discuss new features, report bugs, ask for support, et cetera. Don't use this to spam for other boards or attack those boards!
Forum rules
Discussion of general topics related to the new release and its place in the world. Don't discuss new features, report bugs, ask for support, et cetera. Don't use this to spam for other boards or attack those boards!
joe@fta

Re: What browser do you devs use?

Post by joe@fta »

:oops: Oops .... May be in the whole world is not that rate.
However, In Hong Kong , there has still many people using IE or IE only...
There has may people say IE is not good but still using it... :roll:
Even the number of Netscape user is drop in Hong Kong.

The follow is the stat. of my forum visitor using browser rate :
■ Internet Explorer 6.0 83.70%
■ Unknow 07.66%
■ Internet Explorer 5.5 03.75%
■ Internet Explorer 5.0 03.74%
■ Netscape 4.x 00.45%
■ Netscape 00.39%
■ Netscape 7 00.14%
■ Internet Explorer 4.0 00.10%
■ Opera 7.x 00.05%
■ Netscape 6 00.01%
■ Opera 00.00%
IE is always keep in very high rate...
phpBB 2.1.x Snapshots portal page in Chinese (is building & testing .... )
http://www.freetalkarea.com/tctest22" target="_blank

Arty
Former Team Member

Post by Arty »

Those stats are not even close to correct. Where is Mozilla in those stats? Unknown? Mozilla is used much more than Opera and it definitely should be there. Where is Konqueror that is also quite widely used and should be at about 1%? Its probably written by some clueless developer who has no idea of how to identify browsers.

Svante

Post by Svante »

See the testing subforum, I've started a poll there because it seems like users are not allowed to start polls here, the question is:

What webbrowser do you use?
Join my PHPBB-forum: http://tgforum.tk" target="_blank

A phpBB 2.2 test forum: http://phpbb22.tk" target="_blank

Pschilly

Post by Pschilly »

CyberAlien wrote:Those stats are not even close to correct. Where is Mozilla in those stats? Unknown? Mozilla is used much more than Opera and it definitely should be there. Where is Konqueror that is also quite widely used and should be at about 1%? Its probably written by some clueless developer who has no idea of how to identify browsers.
I agree.... mozilla is very common... I myself use mozilla... its a very nice browser... better then IE... hehehe

Arty
Former Team Member

Post by Arty »

Found recent poll on one website. Its not exact poll because some browsers are missing, but there are 41884 people voted in it so I think its ok. And for some weird reason mozilla and firefox are different poll options in that poll.

Netscape/Mozilla: 12.67% (5306)
Firefox: 22.67% (9495)
other gecko based browser: 0.90% (377)
IE: 45.54% (19074)
Opera: 11.69% (4897)
browser? web? huh? (confused user): 1.88% (787)
Other: 4.21% (1764)

Svante

Post by Svante »

Where did you found that poll?
Join my PHPBB-forum: http://tgforum.tk" target="_blank

A phpBB 2.2 test forum: http://phpbb22.tk" target="_blank

Arty
Former Team Member

Post by Arty »

http://shareconnector.com/modules.php?n ... er=&thold=" target="_blank
Warning: page might be with popups (don't know for sure because i have popups disabled, but those sites usually do have popus)

joe@fta

Post by joe@fta »

CyberAlien wrote:Those stats are not even close to correct. Where is Mozilla in those stats? Unknown? Mozilla is used much more than Opera and it definitely should be there. Where is Konqueror that is also quite widely used and should be at about 1%? Its probably written by some clueless developer who has no idea of how to identify browsers.
I know Mozilla is good.
In my stat. , I think unknow is Mozilla.
The above stat data is Only My forum visitor info. and it is not written by me ! (However, I can't approve to you. Even I post the stat. link here. If you don't trust my words whatever I have written... it's not meaningful.
I do not said it is the whole world stat., right ?! So, we can't said it is correct or not and we can't query why some browser have so less rate on it. Do you agree that ?!
May be in the other site or place there is muchmore people use other browser then IE. However, in my place, there still many people use IE even they always said IE is bad ! Moreover, In HK, now still many site fouse on build a web page is just good viewed on IE.

By the way, Are you living in HK ? Or you very known about my site ?
Why you so sure "Its probably written by some clueless developer who has no idea of how to identify browsers."

In the world, there has many different case! ;)
phpBB 2.1.x Snapshots portal page in Chinese (is building & testing .... )
http://www.freetalkarea.com/tctest22" target="_blank

DK

Post by DK »

Pschilly wrote:
DK wrote:use www.browsercam.com

no reason to load a million browsers, let it take the screens for you ;)
Good reason to load a million browsers, is that it wont cost you a buck a url... Thats complete asinine.

good to note for future reference you don't actually invest the time to read things before spouting off comments... some would say that is asinine.

- there is a free trial per email address you sign up with ....... for 16 captures.
- for $10 you can get up to 10 urls done in unlimited browsers as a one time shot.[which is $1 a url in essence]
- for $39.95/mo you can have unlimited everything.

for home users the free demo is enough, given the ease of creating free email accts these days. For some of us power users I have a full yr subscription paid for by the client.

this tool is probably one of the best around for pure css designers. I c&p urls in and hit submit then go back about my work and it emails me when my captures are complete and I can log in and view them at my leisure.

Graham

Post by Graham »

The figures could be correct - it all depends on the target audience of the page/site. I could give you stats for one page where Netscape 4.7.x accounts for more than 20% of page views - it may not be repesentative of the web as a whole, but for the page in question it is.

I keep stats on my MOD and convertor download page, so for the sample of phpBB users that collects from, IE is still in the majority with 63.5%, Mozilla is in second with 15.4%, Safari and Opera* account for about 3.5% each with the rest being made up of the various other browsers, wget and the like.

* Of course many Opera users fake the agent as something else, so this may be low

Of course people really should design a site that is cross-browser compatible ;)
"So Long, and Thanks for All the Fish"

Graham
Eeek, a blog!