phpBB 2.1/2.2 Development FAQ

Discuss features as they are added to the new version. Give us your feedback. Don't post bug reports, feature requests, support questions or suggestions here.
Forum rules
Discuss features as they are added to the new version. Give us your feedback. Don't post bug reports, feature requests, support questions or suggestions here. Feature requests are closed.
SHS`

phpBB 2.1/2.2 Development FAQ

Post by SHS` »

phpBB 2.2 Development FAQ

Overview

This article will contain many frequently asked questions, regarding the development of phpBB 2.2, the use of phpBB 2.1.x and all associated issues.

Contents
  • What is phpBB 2.1.x?
  • Where can I find support for phpBB 2.1.x?
  • When is phpBB 2.2 going to be released?
  • I found a bug. Where to I post it?
  • Why '2.1.x'?
  • How is upgrading from phpBB 2.0.x going to work?
  • What is this 'CVS' you speak of?
  • Can you add X feature to 2.2?
  • Will phpBB 2.2 be able to do X, Y & Z?
  • What features does phpBB currently have?
  • Can I see the admin panel without having to download it?

What is phpBB 2.1.x?

phpBB 2.1.x is the developmental version of phpBB 2.2. This will never be released publically, as it exists purely for developmental purposes. When 2.1.x becomes stable, it will be tagged as 2.2.0 and released to the public. 2.1.x is, thusly, an un-stable product. You can use it for experimental purposes, but you should never use it in a live environment. You can find a copy on the CVS snapshots page

Where can I find support for phpBB 2.1.x?

Simple answer, you don't. As noted in the previous section, 2.1.x only exists for developmental purposes. It is provided as-is with no support. It is not a finished product, thusly; you should expect things to be broken. Support requests for 2.1.x posted anywhere on phpbb.com will be immediately locked.

When is phpBB 2.2 going to be released?

We believe that our products should not be set with a release date. This means that the developers are not rushed to finish the product by a set date, or dissapoint our users by pushing said date back. Thusly, there is absolutely no release date for phpBB 2.2.0. It will be released when the product is finished. This way, you are bound to get a higher quality product.

I've found a bug. Where to I post it?

You don't. phpBB 2.1.x is, as noted, purely developmental. Things will be un-finished, things will be broken. This is to be expected. Bug-reports will be locked on sight.

Why '2.1.x'?

phpBB follows the Linux kernel number system, which is formatted 'x.y.z'. 'x' is the main version number. This will only change if the product is pretty much completley re-written from the ground up, as phpBB 1.x was upon the production of phpBB2.
'y' is the sub-version number. This changes as major functionality within the version framework is changed, as is happening in the transition from 2.0.x to 2.2.x. The reason the next release version is 2.2.0, and not 2.1.0, is that when 'y' is odd, it is a developmental release. When 'y' is even, it is a stable public release. Thus, phpBB 2.3.0 would also be a developmental version, and the next feature release after 2.2.0 would be 2.4.0.
'z' is the revision number. This changes when bug fixes, security updates, etc are released. Hence the change from phpBB 2.0.7 to 2.0.8 upon the release of security fix. In some cases, you may find a letter after 'z' (aka, 2.0.8a). This is done when there is only a very minor fix added, and the product has not been released as a new version, simply re-packaged with this fix. This normally happens when a small vunerability is noticed straight after a new release.

How is upgrading from phpBB 2.0.x going to work?

Pretty much the same as an upgrade within 2.0.x. An upgrade path will be provided for un-modded installations of 2.0.x - the exception being the Attachment MOD. An upgrade path for this will be provided. However, with other MODs, it will be up to the MOD author to provide you with an upgrade path.

What is this 'CVS' you speak of?

CVS stands for "Concurrent Versioning System". This is where a product is under development, it is kept in a CVS repository. When changes are made, the developer will 'check them in' to CVS directly. This means that users can download an up-to-date version of the product as soon as changes are made. In the case of phpBB, no support is given on using CVS to download 2.1.x snapshots - they are made available for download on the Area51 homepage, and are updated regularly. Again, support is also not provided for the 2.1.x snapshots/CVS versions.

Can you add X feature to 2.2?

Maybe. We have a feature tracker for 2.2, where you can submit your feature ideas to. However, before posting to the tracker, please read through it to make sure that someone else has not already submitted the feature you wish to see added. The developers are busy enough as it is. Having to sift through duplicate feature requests will only slow them down, and ultimatley push back the release of 2.2.0. Submitting to the tracker does not mean that you feature will be added. It is simply a way of suggesting features to the developers. Requests are accepted and denied at their discretion.

Will phpBB 2.2 be able to do X, Y & Z?

Before asking questions about phpBB 2.2, please search! The search feature already works in 2.1.x, and we'd appreciate it if you'd use it prior to posting questions on the Area51 forums. You could also download a snapshot and give it a try for yourself, though, if you are not literate in PHP and MySQL, this would not be advised, as you may be required to overcome certain errors to get a semi-working copy.

What features does phpBB currently have?

A lot! See here and here.

Can I see the admin panel without having to download it?

Yes!

Still not answered your question? Then feel free to post on the Area51 forums. Please note that these are 2.1.x forums, and that they may not always work either.
Also note that, although Area51 is not as heavily moderated as the main site, we do not take kindly to being treated with disrespect. Spam will not be tolerated, and avatar/signature rules are the same as those on the main site.
Thank you for taking the time to read through this, and we hope you enjoy your experiance with phpBB!

- The phpBB Teams
Last edited by Marshalrusty on Sun Oct 25, 2009 7:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: De-stickies
Jonathan “SHS`” Stanley • 史德信
phpBB™ 3.1.x, Bug/Security trackers
phpBB™ Bertie Bear 3.0 — prosilver Edition!Asking Questions The Smart Way

Oldiesmann

Re: phpBB 2.1/2.2 Development FAQ

Post by Oldiesmann »

Hmmm... I doubt anyone will actually read this because global announcements are busted.

Draegonis

Post by Draegonis »

Oldiesmann wrote:Hmmm... I doubt anyone will actually read this because global announcements are busted.
It's on http://www.phpbb.com" target="_blank too.

trenzterra

Post by trenzterra »

They aren't busted. Just change the forum number :p

farty

Post by farty »

but if you break one thing, another thing will be fixed! :P ;)

Virtuality

Post by Virtuality »

Weeee it works clicking on globals now :P
"phpBB3 is never late. Nor is it early. It arrives precisely when it means to."

upsTex

Post by upsTex »

Nice!!!!
- upsTex

Dz_Rascal

Post by Dz_Rascal »

Where Can I Download This "Easy MOD?" Cos ITs Hard To find MOD lolz :lol:

VxJasonxV

Post by VxJasonxV »

Why did you post that in here?
And... might I suggest you look a few forums down?
EasyMOD
"If You Support It, They Will Come."
"Construction"

Dz_Rascal

Post by Dz_Rascal »

Is ok i have downloaded it now