Mile stone 3?

Discussion of general topics related to the new version and its place in the world. Don't discuss new features, report bugs, ask for support, et cetera. Don't use this to spam for other boards or attack those boards!
Forum rules
Discussion of general topics related to the new release and its place in the world. Don't discuss new features, report bugs, ask for support, et cetera. Don't use this to spam for other boards or attack those boards!
gwkampfengerl

Re: Mile stone 3?

Post by gwkampfengerl »

looking the profile of acyd burn just today showed me, that he's most active in the topic "[ 2.2 ] PM - permissions / status report" in the obvious restriced developers forum. since the roadmap says overhaul of private messaging belongs to milestone 4 the devs are - as they already said on various occasions - working on the features as they come and not as they are stated in the roadmap. anyway, development of this great piece of software seems to be going on when there's a topic with "status report" in the title and that's good news i guess :)

A_Jelly_Doughnut

Post by A_Jelly_Doughnut »

Gwkempf: Measure twice, cut once :)

They should plan out how to do PMs long before they actually do it...it means more stable code done in less time (IMO)
A_Jelly_Doughnut

gwkampfengerl

Post by gwkampfengerl »

sure doughnut, i just wanted to point out, that the concerns of some people here, that development somehow and suddenly stopped is wrong :)

gwgreetings,
kampfengerl

Not Radio

Post by Not Radio »

A_Jelly_Doughnut wrote:Gwkempf: Measure twice, cut once :)

They should plan out how to do PMs long before they actually do it...it means more stable code done in less time (IMO)
I believe that is what the restricted forum is for. I can't say for sure, but I imagine they'd at least thoroughly discuss how it would be implemented before actually putting it to code as the status thread mentioned earlier would imply.

upsTex

Post by upsTex »

Wow! This topic does not have a post status indicatior next to it! Like lock, new posts, no new posts.!
- upsTex

theamazingTWOeyedman

Post by theamazingTWOeyedman »

I wish that the dev team would keep in touch with the public a bit more... But hey phpBB is free and a great forum so I cant really complain. They can do it how they want...

Also:

Xbox: VB
PS2: phpBB
GC: IPB

You guys: fan boys

oh and i dont really think this is comparison just an observation, but if mods think it is they can remove it.
Hosting? - mlhosting.net

psoTFX

Post by psoTFX »

Yes, we probably could have "kept in touch" more over the past three or four months ... however personal issues have limited available time for us. As for "fanboys" ... all boards have their more vocal fanboys. However, I'd say of the three major boards the "fanboy factor" exhibited by members goes something like this:

vB > IPB > phpBB

vB fanboys are extremely vocal, nothing compares to it, if they didn't develop a feature first they did it first "properly". That comes with the territory of having paid a pretty significant sum of money (in software terms) for it. It's called positive reinforcement and is demonstrated well beyond forum systems.

Next come the IPB brigade who can be very vocal, are extreme followers of Matt ... example, Ikonboard in perl, php was rubbish, only idiots use php ... Matt starts work on a PHP version of Ikonboard ... perl is rubbish, who uses perl these days? ;)

We tend to smack fanboys somewhat here ... we don't appreciate people knocking other boards here, or elsewhere without reasoned debate. We don't like people foisting phpBB on other users unless it's suitable for them, etc.

NarGemini

Post by NarGemini »

Another analogy:

IPB = Mac OS X
VB = Windows XP
phpBB = Linux

Arty
Former Team Member

Post by Arty »

NarGemini wrote:Another analogy:
That was very bad anology because OSX design is awesome.

q3utom

Post by q3utom »

the phpbb 2.2 dev seems quite fast considering the amount of work going into it and its free, plus we all like suprises when we get the new features. WAs like xmas when PM appeared in cvs :D