integrated Money system

Discuss features as they are added to the new version. Give us your feedback. Don't post bug reports, feature requests, support questions or suggestions here.
Forum rules
Discuss features as they are added to the new version. Give us your feedback. Don't post bug reports, feature requests, support questions or suggestions here. Feature requests are closed.
incubusnb

integrated Money system

Post by incubusnb »

i've already listed it on the sourceforge tracker, but i'm curious as to the overall opinion of this idea.

i know that personally, i won't run any forum software that doesn't at least have a money Mod, and it would make setting up a Forum alot easier if the money system where implemented right from the start, maybe even optimized for the current version alot more.

maybe its just me, but i've found that a very large potion of PHPBB websites have the money/points mod already installed, and that if it isn't its because either the Admin doesn't know about it, or doesn't know how to install it.

that being said, i know there are a few sites out there that simply don't want a money system, and for that i'd reccomend simply being able to turn it off/disable it.

as a side request, if the Money system is added, whats the chance of a good shop script being used? :P

Draegonis

Re: integrated Money system

Post by Draegonis »

I, personally, think a money system would be a rather huge waste of time. Again, these are forums, not fully-fitted-kitchens.
I'd suggest leaving this one to the MODs. It could push the release date back for everyone - even those that don't actually want it - by quite a long time.

SamG

Post by SamG »

I second the idea that there are admins who run primarily discussion forums and don't have a money modification installed simply because they and their communities have no need for one. There are many uses for discussion forum software, but I think the core idea is to provide a web-based platform for discussion. Site operations beyond the discussion part are probably best left to modifications/add-ons.
"I hate trolls!" - Willow Ufgood

VxJasonxV

Post by VxJasonxV »

The Karma system (after modding) could be all you need. Set it to ban on -5, and you're done.
(Modifications required: Only allow mods and admin's to touch karma. Only one person is allowed to hit a rating on a post at any given time. [one mod intervenes, and then it's done for that post to prevent all mods hitting one post and causing a (possibly unnecessay) ban].)
Note: This is not the way the Karma system works, this is a MOD I will be looking into after release.
"If You Support It, They Will Come."
"Construction"

Wert

Post by Wert »

SamG wrote:There are many uses for discussion forum software, but I think the core idea is to provide a web-based platform for discussion. Site operations beyond the discussion part are probably best left to modifications/add-ons.
Word.
Need good web hosting? I recommend Hostrocket.

sciguyryan

Post by sciguyryan »

VxJasonxV wrote:The Karma system (after modding) could be all you need. Set it to ban on -5, and you're done.
(Modifications required: Only allow mods and admin's to touch karma. Only one person is allowed to hit a rating on a post at any given time. [one mod intervenes, and then it's done for that post to prevent all mods hitting one post and causing a (possibly unnecessay) ban].)
Note: This is not the way the Karma system works, this is a MOD I will be looking into after release.

I agree entirley :)

MHobbit

Post by MHobbit »

What exactly is the karma system? sorry, phpBB newbie here.
Former phpBB MOD Team Member - No support offered via IM, PM, or email

psoTFX

Post by psoTFX »

Something that is by no means certain for inclusion. A "money" system is however definitely not on the list for inclusion.

Tullamore

Post by Tullamore »

Draegonis wrote:I, personally, think a money system would be a rather huge waste of time.
I second that.

Skeleton

Post by Skeleton »

i think it wud turn phpbb into a VB, or phpnuke........

phpbb could do with beefing up, as could everything, but this is definetly not the way to do it.