Mile stone 3?

Discussion of general topics related to the new version and its place in the world. Don't discuss new features, report bugs, ask for support, et cetera. Don't use this to spam for other boards or attack those boards!
Forum rules
Discussion of general topics related to the new release and its place in the world. Don't discuss new features, report bugs, ask for support, et cetera. Don't use this to spam for other boards or attack those boards!
CLee

Re: Mile stone 3?

Post by CLee »

enzo250gto wrote:How many people would you say have switched to vB because of this?
Very few, I presume.
sparkster wrote:Well since phpBB 2.0.8a doesn't suit your requirements . . .
And exactly what requirements are those?
Carlos Myers
Member - Star Wars Roleplaying Club

sparkster

Post by sparkster »

Subforums, better security, comprehensive permissions system, payment integration, plenty more. While many of these are going to be in phpBB 2.x or are available as mods in phpBB 2.0.x, vB3 ships with them out of the box right now.

It's an easy choice for many people.

Yoshi 15

Post by Yoshi 15 »

And bloatware :)

Even their main UCP page is about double the size of the profile page in 2.0.x

They even have a piece of code in the vB files that is only needed for vbulliten.com.

And the fact that it wasn't until vB3 that they actually hid options that users can't use (which phpBB had for like 2-3 years).

Anyways, I believe phpBB2.2 will probably have more security.

CLee

Post by CLee »

sparkster wrote:Subforums,
As you've said, this is already available as a mod. And of these is heavily requested, then I would be smart enough to have a version with the sub-forum mod already applied to it.
better security,
And vB3's security is that much better?
comprehensive permissions system,
There is a drop-in mod that allows you to set permissions for all your forums at once. Of you want anything else you, will need to explain it and maybe someone will take the challenge of creating a mod.
payment integration,
Why would anyone need this for a forum?
plenty more.
So far you've been shooting blanks other then, "I don't want to do the work for my clients."
It's an easy choice for many people.
I think it has more to do with you pushing vB3 over phpBB.
Carlos Myers
Member - Star Wars Roleplaying Club

sparkster

Post by sparkster »

"I don't want to do the work for my clients."
Dead right, why would I want to take extra time hacking a phpBB when I can use vB that already has the features. Yes it's bloatware and I personally prefer phpBB but when someone else wants the site right now and I'd be charging the same for a vB install or a phpBB with hacks, I'll take the easiest option for me and the client.

Plus it's not my site running vB, it's someone elses so once I upload it and receive the final portion of payment I really don't care anymore.

A_Jelly_Doughnut

Post by A_Jelly_Doughnut »

No one has switched to vB for that reason...milestone 3 is not complete (and probably won't be for a few weeks if the developers code at a wizard pace)
A_Jelly_Doughnut

lwq

Post by lwq »

Why...they had been on the second milestone for quite a while.....
lwq

SHS`

Post by SHS` »

lwq wrote:Why...they had been on the second milestone for quite a while.....
So? What you see here or checked into CVS isn't 100% reflective of development progress.

If people wish to use vB, they are perfectly free to choose so.

If people wish to use IPS, they are perfectly free to choose so.

If people wish to use "Lets Cram Everything And The Kitchen Sink And End Up With A Disgusting Kludge BB", they are perfectly free to choose so.

phpBB2.2 will be released as and when it's done, not one day sooner, nor later. But it will be this year.

OK?

Jonathan “SHS`” Stanley • 史德信
phpBB™ 3.1.x, Bug/Security trackers
phpBB™ Bertie Bear 3.0 — prosilver Edition!Asking Questions The Smart Way

JAMMAN

Post by JAMMAN »

Isn't it amazing how many people come here multiple times a day just to say "I hate this place and everyone else is much better"

Get a life people. Don't come in here. You are free to use any software you want, so do it.

And when 2.2 is released, I bet the statistics show the truth in the instatnt popularity.

I wouldn't use vbull at any price, the code is barely organized.

I'm waiting paitently for 2.2 and appreciate the time the developers are taking to do it right.

Rock on blue tents.

Skeleton

Post by Skeleton »

kk,

i have read through every post in this thread and i have no set opinion.

I am going to list a few points:

Sparkster was merely saying that as a paid designer he would not spend extra time hacking a BB (i guess unless a client pays him too) and then gives it to them no extra charge. he would rather give them VB3. I see nothing you could possibly have a go at him for in that because for one thing he is not the one using VB!

I would like to go through and compare PHPBB, VBulletin and Invision.

****I have used PHPbb and Invision a lot and have experience with Vbulletin, but i have never admin'd it. ****

PhpBB 2.2 (running on area51 -- won't not the bugs though)

Pros:

Its free
Great Community
Nice look and feel
Fully templatable
Great mod database
Easy to use ACP
Good UCP
Smilies great plus .pak imports
Nice compact files
Decent Security
Very lightweight Db does the job great

Cons: (don't want to cause offence)

Slow development rate (it is free though)
Limited settings
Lacking power ACP
Limited BB code (no javascript window wizards)
Missing comprehnsive security settings

Summary: Great BB for community sites, although lacking a powerful back end and features, it has the feel of a program designed for money by large groups of developers.

Invision Board (RC 2)

Pro's:

Extensive Admin Panel
great feature set
Good community
good value for money
Free version available
Variety of official mods integrate brilliantly (not in free version though and they do cost)
Brilliant UCP
Powerful permissions
Easy to use BBcode system
Highly configurable

Cons:

hard to navigate ACP
Lack of skins available
large Db

Summary: My personal favourite BB, its only letdowns are cut out by the sheer wealth of features it has.

Vbulletin

Pro's:

Comes with styles by default
Highly configurable display
WYSIWYG posting :D
Great templates available

Cons:

Bad smilies
Default Skin ugly
Very expensive
Massive db
badly layed out
Massive files

Summary: A bloatful product, un thoughtfully designed, and a rip off. it may be the most powerful BB around buts it sheer size of files and db is just ridicolous.

Winners:

3 . VB
2.PHPbb!
1.Invision

Phpbb is a very good bb and if the dev's were full time and paid i would have no doubt it would be the best around :D