Is it kosher to modify a file that you are copying?

Want to share what MODs you've gotten to work with EM? Happy about all the time your're saving? Want to say "thanks"? Here's the place.
Forum rules
DO NOT give out any FTP passwords to anyone! There is no reason to do so! If you need help badly enough, create a temporary FTP account that is restricted to only the files that you need help with and give the information for that. Giving out FTP information can be very dangerous!
tbartold

Is it kosher to modify a file that you are copying?

Post by tbartold »

I'm creating a MOD to interface with an outside program, but in order to make it work right I have to modify the files provided from the other program after I copy them into the phpBB directories. Naturally, when I try to do this with EasyMOD it complains that the file is not there, even though the COPY command precedes the OPEN command in the MOD script.

I realize I could write one MOD that would just copy tihe files over, and then a second that would make the changes, but it would be niice to do it all in one. Any way around this?

GPHemsley

Re: Is it kosher to modify a file that you are copying?

Post by GPHemsley »

That's kinda strange... You are trying to customize a file with a MOD that copies the same file? That'd require you to first modify the MOD, no? It doesn't make much sense to me.... It'd be better to just copy it over with the MOD, and then customize it by hand. 8)

tbartold

Post by tbartold »

The point is that I would like to distribute this as a MOD that the user can then apply without doing any editting by hand. Isn't that what EasyMOD is supposed to be about in the first place?????

The user can supply a file (chat.js) that he does not write, but ggets from the makers of DigiChat. But I need to modify that file to make it work with the MOD, because I need to insert code in between the start and end of the file (the <APPLET> and </APPLET> tags. I do not supply the file, the user does not supply the file, but has one that was written by someone else.

Because I want to make this easy on the user, he just has to dadd his copy of chat.js to the MOD I am making, and the MOD should copy it to the install directory and then edit it for him. I do not want to tell the user that he has to do things by hand that a MOD could easily do.

If I turn this into two MODs, one which simply has the COPY command, and the second one that has the FIND and AFTER, ADD commands then this works fine with EASYMOD, but the user would still have to install 2 MODs in order to get one MOD working.

So why can't EasyMOD handle this????

LLKwerv

Post by LLKwerv »

Wouldn't it be easier to copy the files by hand, and then use the script to do the editing? :?:
hello