phpBB team of experts, why ppl mod phpBB more than other BB.

Discussion of general topics related to the new version and its place in the world. Don't discuss new features, report bugs, ask for support, et cetera. Don't use this to spam for other boards or attack those boards!
Forum rules
Discussion of general topics related to the new release and its place in the world. Don't discuss new features, report bugs, ask for support, et cetera. Don't use this to spam for other boards or attack those boards!
SamG

Re: phpBB team of experts, why ppl mod phpBB more than other

Post by SamG »

Exactly. A strength of phpBB 2.0 is the fact that it's a stable core product that lends itself to all sorts of adaptation - from accessibility to bells and whistles. People modify phpBB because that's part of the genius of phpBB in the first place.
"I hate trolls!" - Willow Ufgood

EliteLamer

Post by EliteLamer »

Draegonis wrote:Give that man a cookie. :mrgreen:
He already has one. How else would he be able to post as a registered user? :mrgreen:
Member of the security community.

A_Jelly_Doughnut

Post by A_Jelly_Doughnut »

EliteLamer: append_sid()

On topic, I agree completely with CyberAlien. In addition, the user interface just "flows" in a logical manner (for the most part -- There are a couple idiosyncracies IMO). phpBB's zip is only 500 some odd KB. By contrast, one competitor is 1500 KB zipped. Another is around a megabyte. This makes modification easier - there is less code to wade through and understand.

2.x is also modification friendly because it is modular enough to not require MOD Authors to write a bunch of MODs that are prerequisites for another (ala Multiple BBCode)
A_Jelly_Doughnut

Not Radio

Post by Not Radio »

2.2 addresses everything that this thread is about. The 2.0.x code base had many limitations that made the aforemention difficult to implement in a way that isn't clunky.

Graham

Post by Graham »

As the others have said, people MOD the forum software because they can. I have yet to see any forum software that offers 100% of the features that every single user wants (because some of the requirements are so obscure that they are only relevant to one site).

The advantage of phpBB is precisely that it provides a slimline core product onto which you can add the features you need. For 90% of forums you do not have to add MODs as the all the core features are present it is pure choice to do so.

On the other hand 2.2 is integrating functionality similar to some of the more popular MODs or that based on feature requests.

I would have to suggest that you check what is actually there before saying things like this as it may surprise you.
"So Long, and Thanks for All the Fish"

Graham
Eeek, a blog!

cyberCrank

Post by cyberCrank »

i like phpbbs simplicity
Einstein said "As simple as possible, but no simpler".

Einstein's methods were "simple" in many respects, yet ultimately powerful.

Although not completely, many aspects of the design (and the designer's mindset, IMO) have been to make this process simple yet with poweful aspects to MOD it as needed. phpBB 2.2's design seems (IMO) to adhere to and enhance this mantra, which often leads to efficiency, ease of understanding, ease of implementation, ease of administatration, ease of use, etc.

Einstein liked simple and powerful methods and would be proud of phpBB...

** many see phpBB's simplicity as an asset and free from vanity and ostentatious display **

brianru

Post by brianru »

I chose phpbb because it looked extremely simple. Especially since a few moths ago when I started my site I knew nothing about any web code. I now know how to do a ton and have modded my site in many ways. With any other bb software I may have not needed to do some modding but that I would still not understand anything. Plus in my mind if you don't understand what you are using what is the point?

bjarne

Post by bjarne »

hmm, you are using an os every day, do you understand how it works
Mem. management etc or do you just use it?
brianru wrote:I chose phpbb because it looked extremely simple. Especially since a few moths ago when I started my site I knew nothing about any web code. I now know how to do a ton and have modded my site in many ways. With any other bb software I may have not needed to do some modding but that I would still not understand anything. Plus in my mind if you don't understand what you are using what is the point?

brianru

Post by brianru »

Not completely, but the great thing is that it is easy to learn.

Einstein

Post by Einstein »

cyberCrank wrote:
i like phpbbs simplicity
Einstein said "As simple as possible, but no simpler".
Me too :lol:

In my opinion phpBB should have a more open atitude to the MODs. For the moment there exist a "race" between MODs and vanilla phpBB. I think vanilla phpBB should add features (from good MODs) more rapidly. I think "the way" for a specific feature from a MOD to vanilla phpBB is very long for the moment, both in time and on management levels.

So, my suggestion is that phpBB "management" should have a more clear process description how new MOD features becomes part of vanilla phpBB.

I have seen too many times a people asking kindly for a specific feature and gets back a NO answer. A beter answer is more "we will keep your suggestion in mind, but we don't think ....".

It may be that phpBB "management" have already these things in order. But this is the way I see it from the outside of the project.