Sorry for this question -> small words???

Discussion of general topics related to the new version and its place in the world. Don't discuss new features, report bugs, ask for support, et cetera. Don't use this to spam for other boards or attack those boards!
Forum rules
Discussion of general topics related to the new release and its place in the world. Don't discuss new features, report bugs, ask for support, et cetera. Don't use this to spam for other boards or attack those boards!
yexusbeliever

Sorry for this question -> small words???

Post by yexusbeliever »

I see that there are very small words and letters. I barely see them. Can someone tell me why the developers choose to do it this way instead of leaving at the size like in phpBB 2.0.8?
hmm....

Techie-Micheal

Re: Sorry for this question -> small words???

Post by Techie-Micheal »

It's actually your browser screwing up. Probably IE, no? If so, go to View->Text size->normal

That'll fix it. :)

yexusbeliever

Post by yexusbeliever »

Micheal wrote:It's actually your browser screwing up. Probably IE, no? If so, go to View->Text size->normal

That'll fix it. :)
hahahaha!

Silly me! You are right! I did leave my browser text size to medium. Now I put it to large and do see them better. Thanks!

However, I believe I do not like this size. hehe! Because I like to have all my size text to be at medium. Then again, I can live with this size. It is really clear for me to view.

Thanks, bro!
hmm....

Techie-Micheal

Post by Techie-Micheal »

No problem. :)

Graham

Post by Graham »

As for why, well in 2.0.x subSilver uses absolute font sizes, which from an accesibility point of view is not a good thing. So in the current theme for 2.2.x it uses relative font sizes, which change themselves based on whatever the user's browser is set to have as it's default size.
"So Long, and Thanks for All the Fish"

Graham
Eeek, a blog!

yexusbeliever

Post by yexusbeliever »

Graham wrote:As for why, well in 2.0.x subSilver uses absolute font sizes, which from an accesibility point of view is not a good thing. So in the current theme for 2.2.x it uses relative font sizes, which change themselves based on whatever the user's browser is set to have as it's default size.
Can you explain to me what is absolute font size and relative font size?
hmm....

TheFella

Post by TheFella »

Relative sizes will change depending on what your browser is set to, i.e. large, small, etc.

Absolute sizes are defined, i.e. 12 pixels, and therefore remain the same size, independent of browser font settings.
The Fella - I rock
The Fella Goes Arctic | LoonyAsylum

yexusbeliever

Post by yexusbeliever »

TheFella wrote:Relative sizes will change depending on what your browser is set to, i.e. large, small, etc.

Absolute sizes are defined, i.e. 12 pixels, and therefore remain the same size, independent of browser font settings.
So which one (absolute size or relative size) is better?
hmm....

TheFella

Post by TheFella »

yexusbeliever wrote:So which one (absolute size or relative size) is better?
Depends what you are going for. Absolute sizes will always mean that the site is viewed as you want, as font sizes won't change and therefore possibly distort tables, etc.

Relative sizes, however, are better to make your site more accessible, i.e. if someone has poor eyesite and needs their browser font size set on large all the time. If the fonts are absolute, they will remain small and therefore possibly unreadable to the viewer.
The Fella - I rock
The Fella Goes Arctic | LoonyAsylum

SHS`

Post by SHS` »

TheFella wrote:Relative sizes will change depending on what your browser is set to, i.e. large, small, etc.

s/browser/Internet Explorer

Mozilla, Opera, Konquerer, Safari, etc etc etc have had no issue resizing pixel fonts for a very long time.

But considering IE6/Win is still based on the Trident engine that's over half a decade old... blah.
Jonathan “SHS`” Stanley • 史德信
phpBB™ 3.1.x, Bug/Security trackers
phpBB™ Bertie Bear 3.0 — prosilver Edition!Asking Questions The Smart Way