subforum layout display.

Discuss features as they are added to the new version. Give us your feedback. Don't post bug reports, feature requests, support questions or suggestions here.
Forum rules
Discuss features as they are added to the new version. Give us your feedback. Don't post bug reports, feature requests, support questions or suggestions here. Feature requests are closed.
danielck

subforum layout display.

Post by danielck »

I noticed that the visual display of subforums for the new phpBB at the forum index do not seems to be obvious enough. Perhaps an layout in the attached picture could be clearer? (see attached image: subforum_display.jpg)

I also feel that the subforum display at the view forum page could be improve visually. A bar containing the link to the main forum could be place above the title bar of the subforum. (see attached image: subforum_board_display.jpg)

:)
Attachments
Suggested subforum layout at the forum index.
Suggested subforum layout at the forum index.
subforum_display.jpg (47.46 KiB) Viewed 5819 times
Suggested subforum layout at the view forum page
Suggested subforum layout at the view forum page
subforum_board_display.jpg (93 KiB) Viewed 5824 times

VxJasonxV

Re: subforum layout display.

Post by VxJasonxV »

1) Templating issues can be fixed at your own whim.

2) That picture shown of the 2.2 index display shows nested catagories, not nested forums.
The order shown is Catagory, Sub-Catagory, Forum. Not a single Sub (Nested) Forum is shown.
"If You Support It, They Will Come."
"Construction"

Graham

Post by Graham »

If I can make a brief comment - discussion of template layouts is probably best left until later in the development process. What you see at present has been changed to differentiate it from 2.0.x but it may or may not be what you get at release. With 2.0.x the template changed quite drastically near the end of the process and that may happen again.
"So Long, and Thanks for All the Fish"

Graham
Eeek, a blog!

Smirnov

Post by Smirnov »

Hmm, I have nested categories in 2.1.2 and it doesn't look like the second picture at all. I have to click on the subcategory to see just one level of categories/forums. What gives?

DoD

Post by DoD »

There is also a space issue here... if you have too many sub forums, the indx will be absurdley long showing all of the sub forums... If you want them displayed on the index... why make them sub forums?

One solution would be to have say a clicky button which opens a list of the subforums. But you must remember then that is should be cross browser compatable.

However, if it is not in the "official" style, it would be made by somebody and released.

Not Radio

Post by Not Radio »

Categories use the same table as forums. The only thing that distinguishes them is a field value. I suppose that one could have it so that a sub-"category" gets listed along with sub-forums. It wouldn't be difficult to hack in if the functionality isn't already there.