Authentication with external server (Active Directory)

Discuss features as they are added to the new version. Give us your feedback. Don't post bug reports, feature requests, support questions or suggestions here.
Forum rules
Discuss features as they are added to the new version. Give us your feedback. Don't post bug reports, feature requests, support questions or suggestions here. Feature requests are closed.
archmage

Authentication with external server (Active Directory)

Post by archmage »

I am not sure if i already posted this or not.. and i have searched around for it.. and don't see any answers. (search no work yet :( )

Will i be able to set authentication up based on already logged in credentials to automatically create a profile for a user and then from then on.. they can use the boards from authenticating with my Ldap server (MS Active Directory). Their phpbb profile will always be mapped to their username they already logged in with via IIS.

Just wondering...

*ducks*

VxJasonxV

Re: Authentication with external server (Active Directory)

Post by VxJasonxV »

The ACP Gallery does not show it, but this feature does indeed exist, and they have support for 3 (4?) external authentication services.
"If You Support It, They Will Come."
"Construction"

archmage

Post by archmage »

yeah !!! i saw that "authentication" in the admin menu in the gallery.. but couldn't see anything past that :(

I'm torn between using phpBB for my company or using the ASP.NET forums that has their 2.0 coming out within the next month. I already use phpBB for some fun personal stuff.. and for friends that want a board.. anyways. getting off track..

Anyone have an idea what is in the new "authentication" menu in admin?

chAos

Post by chAos »

I'm not aware to what extent it works, but the authentication system is done using plugins. So, theorectically, if you were ablet to develop an active directory plugin, it should work fine. :)

jamezilla

Re: Authentication with external server

Post by jamezilla »

Does anyone have any documentation or info on this? This is exactly what I'm looking for.
I'd very much like to develop a plugin to authenticate against my current user base.

DoD

Post by DoD »

I'm not sure if this is what your after, but the 2.2 Authenticaion system has been applied to 2.0.8

It can be found in the contrib folder of 2.0.8 and you simply need to copy the files into the main phpbb folder.

SHS`

Post by SHS` »

DoD wrote:I'm not sure if this is what your after, but the 2.2 Authenticaion system has been applied to 2.0.8

It can be found in the contrib folder of 2.0.8 and you simply need to copy the files into the main phpbb folder.
Errm, Visual Confirmation != phpBB2.2.x Session Authenticaton Modules
Jonathan “SHS`” Stanley • 史德信
phpBB™ 3.1.x, Bug/Security trackers
phpBB™ Bertie Bear 3.0 — prosilver Edition!Asking Questions The Smart Way

Graham

Post by Graham »

However if AD supports LDAP, which I think it does, then there is already a basic LDAP authentication module included in CVS - I don't know whether it works of course since I have'nt tried it :)
"So Long, and Thanks for All the Fish"

Graham
Eeek, a blog!

wacky_hacky

Post by wacky_hacky »

archmage wrote:Will i be able to set authentication up based on already logged in credentials to automatically create a profile for a user and then from then on.. they can use the boards from authenticating with my Ldap server (MS Active Directory). Their phpbb profile will always be mapped to their username they already logged in with via IIS.
You would have to write some code to make profiles for phpBB for the users you already have in your Directory. Simplest way would be to duplicate the code in the registration page, modify it and then have the new page retrieve all login information from the LDAP and fill the phpBB users table.

From that point forward, you can keep on using that page to create new profiles whenever you add a new user to your Directory. All you would need to do, is run it through the commandline for example.

Also, I don't know if LDAP auth is functional yet.

DoD

Post by DoD »

SHS` wrote:Errm, Visual Confirmation != phpBB2.2.x Session Authenticaton Modules
Like i thought, i dont have a clue what your talking about heh!

Sorry about this :P