Just a suggestion.

Discuss features as they are added to the new version. Give us your feedback. Don't post bug reports, feature requests, support questions or suggestions here.
Forum rules
Discuss features as they are added to the new version. Give us your feedback. Don't post bug reports, feature requests, support questions or suggestions here. Feature requests are closed.
Unregistered

Just a suggestion.

Post by Unregistered »

I was reading a review once (for scripts), and I read that phpBB has the ugliest default skin, and I have to agree. It seems the new subSilver is flashier, but I think phpBB really needs a makeover. Maybe useing yellow as your main color, yellow and black. Ah, don't have to do that. But just a suggestion ^_^
I can remember way back to my first website. It was the first time I actually paid for hosting and had a MySQL database at my disposal. A friend of mine was using phpBB for his forums so I decided to use the same. Overall, the software is pretty good for its cost (absolutely nothing) and ran fairly smoothly. The software is good for those just breaking into the world of being a webmaster. The user base for phpBB is massive, granting the casual webmaster access to a broad array of modifications and free templates. However, I would watch modifying the board too much. The phpBB software is great by itself, however once one begins to modify here and tweak a little there, the script has a tendency to become less and less reliable. Also, beware of its database backup script; it’s quite faulty. Instead, rely upon whichever backup method your webhost provides; you’ll acquire fewer headaches that way. Another fault with phpBB would be its size and speed. The script is truly massive for its overall lack of built-in features. If you’re looking for a script that takes up very little space phpBB is not it. It’s also fairly slow compared to a few of the other popular bulletin board scripts, and begins to get pretty buggy once your user count gets above 500. Also, before I move on I would like to point out that at the time this article was written there were 373,089 posts in the official phpBB Support forum. Take that as you may; I just want to let that number simmer in your mind.
~GWR (http://www.gwresource.com)

And thats another persons opinion on phpBB. I am not saying phpBB is a bad script, actually I like it alot, now I am use to the Admin panel (which took me a while). But there is room for imprivement, there is always room for imprivement :)

CLee

Re: Just a suggestion.

Post by CLee »

If Subsilver was/is so ugly, why did every other board turn around and cloned the look?
Carlos Myers
Member - Star Wars Roleplaying Club

chAos

Post by chAos »

subSilver was and is IMO and based on what other people have said, a very nice default theme. 2.2 may see changes happening in that dept.

psoTFX

Post by psoTFX »

Hill-hairy-arse ... just love these comments. As CLee notes it's funny that if subSilver is so bad that practically every other board, within weeks of subSilver premiering where knocking out similar looking styles.

As for that quote ... what utter boll-acks ... "becomes quite unreliable". Really? Tell that to go-gaia.com. Take a look at the list of "biggest boards", the larger boards are dominated by vB and phpBB. Again, if modifications result in unreliability why aren't they all using another system? Wrt support, phpBB 2.0 is two years old, we have add hundreds of thousands of downloads of the software ... hardly a shock that people may have difficulty understanding X, Y and Z. If that person had bothered to actually look before commenting (perhaps he can get a job with the tabloids? :D) he would find a great deal of "support requests" are simply "How do I install?", "How do I add a user to a usergroup?", "How do I change permissions?" ... all things covered in detail in the userguide. Of course unlike certain "other" boards we maintain an open, free to all support forum ... no doubt though that's another poor decision? ;)

kuato

Post by kuato »

/shrug I've always liked the subSilver look. The only thing I didn't like about the default look when I first used 2.0.x was the 2px border which is easily changed in the stylesheet .forumline class.
Paul Schmidt - aka kuato
My home | My portal for phpbb2.2

VxJasonxV

Post by VxJasonxV »

Yellow and Black? Either of those as the primary color? ..."Hello and welcome to the official bee hive page! Site: http://www.geocities.com/beehive"" target="_blank

What I'm getting at is, black background = crap. It's useable, but it doesn't look good, unless you have some SERIOUS art skill. Yellow background probably wouldn't be all too great either.
"If You Support It, They Will Come."
"Construction"

Unregistered

Post by Unregistered »

Well, i said either or, I mean both (I like yellow and black colors. And I have it planned in my head how it will look, and it will look rather fabeloues..) Anyway, I just told you waht I read from veriues of sites (I wish I could remeber the site talking about subSilver). Actually, I don't like it too much either. The new look is a bit more "new" looking (thats a lil funny..). Again, I still like phpBB mostly, I would like more Admin features. And the defualt look I would personally never use, just because its not really professonial for sites to use the defualt look (well, phpBB.com does, but the defualt look is MADE by them....so that doesn't apply to them. I just mean, for gaming sites, its an exptation to pay for a custom skin. Or at least have a different skin.)

Roberdin

Post by Roberdin »

wasn't it bought from subBlue design?
Rob

sparkster

Post by sparkster »

vBevolution get requests all the time to convert subSilver to vB3. Seriously, at least one or two a week!

Roberdin

Post by Roberdin »

Are they allowed to do that? I know IPB have but still
Rob