PHPbb team : you have to catch up with the compition

Discussion of general topics related to the new version and its place in the world. Don't discuss new features, report bugs, ask for support, et cetera. Don't use this to spam for other boards or attack those boards!
Forum rules
Discussion of general topics related to the new release and its place in the world. Don't discuss new features, report bugs, ask for support, et cetera. Don't use this to spam for other boards or attack those boards!
Darkmonkey

Re: PHPbb team : you have to catch up with the compition

Post by Darkmonkey »

I forgot we are all sheep ;)
...they're watching you...

Not Radio

Post by Not Radio »

Guillius wrote:Indeed converters are not any good really, they have a ton of flaws etc... I believe a pure version of phpbb is the way to go... patiance...
I converted an IPB database to a phpBB forum flawless. Granted, the design of the interface was horrible.

SamG

Post by SamG »

darkmonkey wrote:I forgot we are all sheep ;)
Not all of us are sheep. Some of us are simply realists. And anybody who has been responsible for even a trivial bit of publicly released script knows how difficult it can be to get and keep the job done properly in free time. There is much to know and much responsibility, from security issues to efficiency issues.

I don't see and never have seen any evidence that the developers drag out phpBB development or are casual about keeping phpBB competitive and useful. The length of the development cycle in itself doesn't prove otherwise. Those who prefer to wait for phpBB releases rather than migrate to another product are certainly within their rights, just as those who choose otherwise are within their rights.

All of us would like a shorter development time. That's a given. But it doesn't take a sheep to wait it out. For most of us, if we were honest about it, it's not as though the fate of the free world rests on the bells and whistles of our forums.
"I hate trolls!" - Willow Ufgood

Darkmonkey

Post by Darkmonkey »

I believe you mis-understood my point, I was simply replying to this;
I have been watching several forum software companies. I have noticed that vBulletin will soon release vB 3.0 (currently in RC3) and Invision Board will release 2.0 beta early feb.

In order to to compete with them you have to speed up the development proccess.
There is no need for competetion. I really dont think, the phpBB is trying to "compete".
...they're watching you...

SamG

Post by SamG »

Yes, it looks like I did. Sorry about that.
"I hate trolls!" - Willow Ufgood

Techie-Micheal

Post by Techie-Micheal »

Ptirhiik_ wrote:Oh, just stop this : professional means getting a salary for the job, no more, no less. Then before judging any quality of a code or which solution feets better the need, try to figure if the neat one is the more efficient one in the case to solve. And vBulletin is a great product, which has been approved by numerous webmaster, in a professional world and run perfectly well on very critical situations. phpBB hasn't yet this priviledge, the version upcoming seems to fullfill those situations too, that's fine, and that's a good thing. But one thing will remain (in some way hopefully), buying a vBulletin is also contracting for support, what phpBB group has announced as not a plan. There stops any comparaison about the choice of one or another.
I'm an IT Professional. Yes, I have the certification to prove it. But that doesn't mean I have a paying job right now. Just because someone is a professional, that doesn't mean they are getting paid for what they do. Look at EFF. They have professional lawyers, and yet, they don't get paid on a regular basis, now do they? No. And by the way, phpBB does run in "critical situations." C|Net, lanl.gov, and so on all run our software. Oooh, you read correctly, part of the US Government is using our software. One of the most respected sites in the IT industry also runs our software. Hrm. Sounds like it has been approved by some serious webmasters to me.

Ptirhiik_

Post by Ptirhiik_ »

Oh please : does phpbb devs get a salary for phpBB ? Not of my knowledge. Is phpBB a commercial lobby ? Neither. This means it is not a professional products. This is not a judgement on the quality of the code at all : it is a status. I'm also a professional IRL (project manager to be precise). Does it allow me to qualify the code I wrote outside my firm "professional" ? Certainly not. Same thing for the support : it is not professional, that doesn't mean it is not of quality : simply there is no contract for.

For the perfs, try phpBB 2.0 with a half and hundred forums, plus 800 connected users on instant : that's what I call a critical situation (and it is not an hypotethical situation). It doesn't means phpBB 2.0 is not reliable (actually it is very reliable), but simply it requires more power than vBulletin 2.x, that's all. phpBB 2.1 seems to solve drasticely this.

Techie-Micheal

Post by Techie-Micheal »

Ptirhiik_ wrote:Oh please : does phpbb devs get a salary for phpBB ? Not of my knowledge. Is phpBB a commercial lobby ? Neither. This means it is not a professional products. This is not a judgement on the quality of the code at all : it is a status. I'm also a professional IRL (project manager to be precise). Does it allow me to qualify the code I wrote outside my firm "professional" ? Certainly not. Same thing for the support : it is not professional, that doesn't mean it is not of quality : simply there is no contract for.

For the perfs, try phpBB 2.0 with a half and hundred forums, plus 800 connected users on instant : that's what I call a critical situation (and it is not an hypotethical situation). It doesn't means phpBB 2.0 is not reliable (actually it is very reliable), but simply it requires more power than vBulletin 2.x, that's all. phpBB 2.1 seems to solve drasticely this.
And I say once again, just because one isn't being paid for something doesn't mean they are not a professional. I suggest you go back reread my previous post. Case in point: My certification says IT Professional. That says nothing about the quality of my work, it is a status. And I highly recommend you stop this "oh please" crap. You are not in a position to be telling me anything.

.vash

Post by .vash »

Well - actually vB has been in Beta for as long as I can remember. Well this is quite relative, but seems things do not work as intended, although it is a commercial solution.

As we can see here a great job is to be done again for 2.2 so there is nothing who phpBB has to be afraid of. There is no real pressure. It is free software, not in the means of cost, thats a side effect as we should know and so it is at the moment in front of any other commercial software :P Yeah, if its going too slow, why not downloading the source and finishing the job all by yourself ...
there are 10 types of different people ... those who understand binaries and those who don't

Ptirhiik_

Post by Ptirhiik_ »

Micheal wrote:And I say once again, just because one isn't being paid for something doesn't mean they are not a professional.
That means what you will produce in your professional working time is a professional products, what you will produce outside your working time is not a professional products (as long as you doesn't contract for it). You are mixing your status and the status of the job you are producing : I think I have been very clear about this in my posts, I don't know why you are trying to mix the both.
(../..)And I highly recommend you stop this "oh please" crap. You are not in a position to be telling me anything.
Ok, that's stop the discussion with you, definitively. Using threats attempt and insults makes you really think you are acting as a moderator there ?