PHPbb team : you have to catch up with the compition

Discussion of general topics related to the new version and its place in the world. Don't discuss new features, report bugs, ask for support, et cetera. Don't use this to spam for other boards or attack those boards!
Forum rules
Discussion of general topics related to the new release and its place in the world. Don't discuss new features, report bugs, ask for support, et cetera. Don't use this to spam for other boards or attack those boards!
cybertinus

Re: PHPbb team : you have to catch up with the compition

Post by cybertinus »

Don't rush the developers. It should be done good, not fast. Just look at Windows ME. That was done fast, and not good. And it is a very bad OS. And I don't want (I think nobody here) wants that phpBB 2.2 becomes bad.

But I can't wait until 2.2 is released :)

Greetz, Cybertinus

Gogeta

Post by Gogeta »

You could just convert to Invision POwer Board or vBulletin, Then come back to phpBB when it goes 2.2.
phpBB Is The one That Owns all.

Roberdin

Post by Roberdin »

Convertors aren't perfect. Besides, who's gonna shell out, what is it, $300 on vBull for less than a year?
Rob

Guillius

Post by Guillius »

Indeed converters are not any good really, they have a ton of flaws etc... I believe a pure version of phpbb is the way to go... patiance...

Techie-Micheal

Post by Techie-Micheal »

We don't have to catch up to anybody ... I guarantee you that when 2.2 goes gold, you will see why things were not rushed.

Robbiz233

Post by Robbiz233 »

Its really a personal choice on which one you like better to which one you use. Like the people who buy vbulletin are a bit different but with like invisionboard and phpbb you can get them both for free so u'd go with the one you liked more.

At the moment invisionboard are a bit ahead of phpbb in terms of features and all but there a lot more of a professional team. Phpbb are more of a community based project to provide good forums, its not there job, its somthing they do to help everyone out. Thats a key difference between the boards. I think with invisionboard now Matts fulltime job is to code the forum and im sure his pulling in a lot of money so he'd have every incentive to work fast on the forums.

Phpbb are doing a good job tho, from expiereince I know that forums aren't the easyest to make nor somthing that you really want to spend all your time doing especially when your not getting paid.

hasten

Post by hasten »

Robbiz233 wrote:Its really a personal choice on which one you like better to which one you use. Like the people who buy vbulletin are a bit different but with like invisionboard and phpbb you can get them both for free so u'd go with the one you liked more.

At the moment invisionboard are a bit ahead of phpbb in terms of features and all but there a lot more of a professional team. Phpbb are more of a community based project to provide good forums, its not there job, its somthing they do to help everyone out. Thats a key difference between the boards. I think with invisionboard now Matts fulltime job is to code the forum and im sure his pulling in a lot of money so he'd have every incentive to work fast on the forums.

Phpbb are doing a good job tho, from expiereince I know that forums aren't the easyest to make nor somthing that you really want to spend all your time doing especially when your not getting paid.
I'd strongly disagree. The phpBB team has professional grade developers. Just look at the source code and their architectural design choices (authentication modules, the Modified Pre-Order Tree Traversal (MPTT) usage, the access control list permissions system, etc).

Do you see vBulletin or Invision using anything as elegant as the MPTT? vBulletin 3.0 is such a hacked together, poorly designed board. Have you seen the way they store their forums and sub forums? Have you seen how bloatted it has become to the point that they have to keep a table of pre-parse posts?

Does either vB or Invision have a permissions system nearly as powerful and flexable as phpBB's system?

Ptirhiik_

Post by Ptirhiik_ »

Oh, just stop this : professional means getting a salary for the job, no more, no less. Then before judging any quality of a code or which solution feets better the need, try to figure if the neat one is the more efficient one in the case to solve. And vBulletin is a great product, which has been approved by numerous webmaster, in a professional world and run perfectly well on very critical situations. phpBB hasn't yet this priviledge, the version upcoming seems to fullfill those situations too, that's fine, and that's a good thing. But one thing will remain (in some way hopefully), buying a vBulletin is also contracting for support, what phpBB group has announced as not a plan. There stops any comparaison about the choice of one or another.

modenaf1

Post by modenaf1 »

Ill just say I would rather have a godly version of phpBB2 than have a *beep* one that is out when certain other boards are. I don't admin a VB forum and I don't admin an invision board. I really do not care if their new versions are out before phpBB.

DEV's, plz take your time and make this own!

Although I admit, I cannot wait!!!!! It looks so good!!!! I am really having fun wiht the snapshots lol.
Banned

kuato

Post by kuato »

I agree with modenaf1, take your time and do it right. In the meantime 2.0.6 is plenty enough for most of our needs and there are plenty of mods out for it.
Paul Schmidt - aka kuato
My home | My portal for phpbb2.2