Permission priorities

Discussion of general topics related to the new version and its place in the world. Don't discuss new features, report bugs, ask for support, et cetera. Don't use this to spam for other boards or attack those boards!
Forum rules
Discussion of general topics related to the new release and its place in the world. Don't discuss new features, report bugs, ask for support, et cetera. Don't use this to spam for other boards or attack those boards!
sparkster

Permission priorities

Post by sparkster »

When I setup the CVS version here, I am obviously part of the Administrators group and the Registered Users group. The problem is that when I set permissions for a forum so admins can see it but reg'd users can't, I can't see it because my membership to Reg'd Users is taking priority. I've gone into Manage groups in the ACP and made Admins default but it's still happening. Is there something obvious I'm missing or is it a bug that I wouldn't dare report yet? ;)

psoTFX

Re: Permission priorities

Post by psoTFX »

Yes, you don't see Registered Users to "No", you leave them on unset. As the "instructions" say, No takes precedent.

sparkster

Post by sparkster »

Ahhh, thanks man :D It's always the stupid stuff I overlook :roll:

Graham

Post by Graham »

My understanding of it, is that it is going to follow the same type of permissions hierarchy as a lot of operating systems and database systems

This means that:
No will override everything - if a user has a setting of no from one of the groups they are in or directly, it will mean that permission is no
Yes will override unset - if a user has yes from one group or directly and any other groups they are in have this permission unset it will mean that this permission is yes
Unset - This means that the permissions inherited from other sources will be used, but if all sources of permissions are unset it will fall back to no

The outcome of this is that you may fin people being blocked from things that you think they should be allowed to do, but you should not get people being allowed to do things that you have explicitly blocked
"So Long, and Thanks for All the Fish"

Graham
Eeek, a blog!

Roberdin

Post by Roberdin »

Perhaops there should be some kind of "View Effective Permissions" or whatever feature, as there is on the Windows NT Platfrom - shows you what the users are actually allowed to do, just in case you've over looked something.
Rob

psoTFX

Post by psoTFX »

There will probably be a "View conflicts" system. But of course if you have a suggestion this isn't the place to post it, is it?

Roberdin

Post by Roberdin »

Oooops. :oops:
Rob

Aexoden

Post by Aexoden »

In my experience, "Unset" really serves as kind of a "soft no" in that it serves as no until you grant them a yes permission elsewhere. In determining permissions, I personally have been reserving the use of "No" for selectively removing a single person or group's permissions. In the initial permissions setting, I didn't use No at all, though depending on group overlap, this may or may not be fully extendible.

Especially with permissions like "Posts are moderated", using "No" in the permissions for Registered Users or something would be a bad idea. It'd prevent you from singling out a user and moderating their posts, since the "No" would overrule. So unless you're trying to override a "Yes" somewhere, avoid using "No" at all.

VxJasonxV

Post by VxJasonxV »

I was really happy that this thread came up, because now I understand and can avoid some potential future problems. Thanks everyone.
"If You Support It, They Will Come."
"Construction"