better word censors?

Discussion of general topics related to the new version and its place in the world. Don't discuss new features, report bugs, ask for support, et cetera. Don't use this to spam for other boards or attack those boards!
Forum rules
Discussion of general topics related to the new release and its place in the world. Don't discuss new features, report bugs, ask for support, et cetera. Don't use this to spam for other boards or attack those boards!
coolio
Location: Testing, Testing, Testing, Testing, Testing, Testing, Testing, Testing, Testing, Testing, Testing

better word censors?

Post by coolio »

will there be better word censors?

you can do something like ZZZZ and if ZZZZ was the bad word the word censor wouldn't catch it

psoTFX

Re: better word censors?

Post by psoTFX »

The word censor works fine ... there will always be ways it can be circumvented. Unless you want obscenely stupid amounts of processor time spent examining every post for natural language, removing any bbcode elements checking and re-inserting bbcode, etc. ...

DoD

Post by DoD »

coolio wrote:will there be better word censors?

you can do something like ZZZZ and if ZZZZ was the bad word the word censor wouldn't catch it
Nothing's as good as a moderator and a click of the mouse on the delete button ;)

Pschilly

Post by Pschilly »

DoD wrote:
coolio wrote:will there be better word censors?

Nothing's as good as a moderator and a click of the mouse on the delete button ;)

Amen! :mrgreen:

coolio
Location: Testing, Testing, Testing, Testing, Testing, Testing, Testing, Testing, Testing, Testing, Testing

Post by coolio »

OK :roll: i forgot to disable BBCode in the first post

Say you have the word BAD. This is a word you want to censor. OK so you
go like BA[b][/b]D and it will show BAD. This needs to be fixed.

I wasnt talking about examining every word :x

psoTFX

Post by psoTFX »

erm, yeah, effectively you are ;) You want us to remove all non-alphabetic chars from all words ... check them ... censor them ... then return all unaffected chars to those original words. Now, consider that handling chars in PHP is not great when it comes to non-western european charsets, the time it will take to analyse even mildly long posts on busier boards, blah blah. Why does everyone think they are suggesting these things for the first time :D Do you not think we already thought of doing that ... in 2.0.0 ... ? :)

Pschilly

Post by Pschilly »

psoTFX wrote:erm, yeah, effectively you are ;) You want us to remove all non-alphabetic chars from all words ... check them ... censor them ... then return all unaffected chars to those original words. Now, consider that handling chars in PHP is not great when it comes to non-western european charsets, the time it will take to analyse even mildly long posts on busier boards, blah blah. Why does everyone think they are suggesting these things for the first time :D Do you not think we already thought of doing that ... in 2.0.0 ... ? :)
I think they always suggest that because noone ever takes the time to read previous posts that have already answered the question they are asking... So before you ask a question, see if it has been answered already to save the hassel of people answering the same question more then once. :)

DoD

Post by DoD »

To be honest, you cant expect a script to do what a human has to do.

With word censors, if people type that word, fair enough, i say....

I wouldnt bother making a script to combat the clever flamers. You should just ban anyone of your boards that tries to work around things like that.

There's a report to moderator function, and your eyes. Theres no real need for the word censor function to be advanced... and in all honesty, i've never turned it on on any forums...

Pschilly

Post by Pschilly »

I never turn the word censor on either... if they want to use the words that would be censored by the censor (:P) then so be it as long as it doesnt interup with your forums regular postings.

Trek

Post by Trek »

Indeed, I have 3 (or 4) phpBB forums, and I don't think I have a single word censor list that has words in :)
Miguel
http://community.34sp.com" target="_blank
http://www.miguel.me.uk" target="_blank | http://www.sfcommand.co.uk" target="_blank | http://www.ssdg.org.uk" target="_blank
Hardware: The parts of a computer system that can be kicked