Calendar ?

Discuss features as they are added to the new version. Give us your feedback. Don't post bug reports, feature requests, support questions or suggestions here.
Forum rules
Discuss features as they are added to the new version. Give us your feedback. Don't post bug reports, feature requests, support questions or suggestions here. Feature requests are closed.
dhn

Re: Calendar ?

Post by dhn »

ChAoS wrote:The events system will be for scheduling regular forum backups or the like (AFAIK). Nothing as advanced as a calender system.
Depends on the triggers. If time based triggering is possible (very likely :)) and events are allowed to interact with templates, it could be possible to put calendar type alerts inside the forum. But this all depends on how Paul will finally approach this.

Techie-Micheal

Post by Techie-Micheal »

dhn wrote:
ChAoS wrote:The events system will be for scheduling regular forum backups or the like (AFAIK). Nothing as advanced as a calender system.
Depends on the triggers. If time based triggering is possible (very likely :)) and events are allowed to interact with templates, it could be possible to put calendar type alerts inside the forum. But this all depends on how Paul will finally approach this.
If at all. Events System was still a maybe last I heard.

Jackal05

Post by Jackal05 »

How about phpBB Portal? I heard that will have a calender.
"There are two groups of people, the hunters and the hunted."
-Anonymous

[ My Home | http://www.jackaldesigns.com/ ]
[ Current Project | http://www.jackaldesigns.com/Projects/G ... /index.php ]

mercifull

Post by mercifull »

haravikk wrote:If someone can show me a use for a callendar on a forum other than to say "I r00l I've got a callendar mod" then I might consider having a stance on this =/
i am setting up a music forum and my calendar will be used to show when gigs and other music related events will be happening

Southwalesmusic

Post by Southwalesmusic »

haravikk wrote:If someone can show me a use for a callendar on a forum other than to say "I r00l I've got a callendar mod" then I might consider having a stance on this =/
i run a music site for my local area and the calendar is used to show memebers and visitors when local gigs are its really usful as you can see by the number of submittions.

:| :arrow:

brianlees

Post by brianlees »

Although I agree that the calendar should be a mod and not a core component, I do have one our forums. My wife and I run a forum that, among other things, discusses Disney. The calendar on our website is called the "Trip Calendar." Members post when they will be in Disney because they like to meet up with each other. Kinda cool....but, I still agree that phpBB is forum software and the calendar should be a mod. BTW, I use WebSnail's free version. No need for the advanced version...yet. Excellent Mod, though.

Brian
Check out The Clubhouse

Lugie

Post by Lugie »

Calendars have uses, but I've yet to see a forum that actually uses calendars for a great reason. Most of them go so far as listing birthdays of members, which is really useless information.

For the few communities that organize meeting times on forums (role playing, development chats, and so on...), a mod can go a long way. Otherwise, few forums use calendars for any useful purpose.
I can't see the meaning of this life I'm leading,
I try forget you as you forgot me...
This time there is nothing left for you to take -
this is goodbye...

DoD

Post by DoD »

This is probably the most useful one i've seen...

http://www.ironmaiden.org/bb/calendar.php?s=" target="_blank

Its useful, says where their playing, any special things their doing, releases, etc.

but more of a mod than a feature ;)

haravikk

Post by haravikk »

Iron Maiden rule woo! \m/ :D \m/

On topic though a calendar can be used to remind of anything really like New Year, Christmas and such, if you post an announcement that a forum is going to be locked in X days then you could put it on a calendar.

There are quite a lot of uses for them but I still agree that they are not really needed for most common boards.

If the events system is done well enough I can see it becoming a very useful tool for modding, if event scripts can be saved and loaded into other boards it could allow a calendar system with very little actual code digging. ie you download the calendar mod, drop a script into your adm/ directory so you can set it up and it simply adds items to the events system to prompt pop-up alerts or such.
Images in sigs! please.

psoTFX

Post by psoTFX »

I know this has been said ... and most already know ... but just to reiterate ... phpBB will not feature a calendar, not while I'm in charge of development :) We are a forum, not a scheduling system ... if you want a calendar, install a Mod or an appropriate portal.