Some Question

Discussion of general topics related to the new version and its place in the world. Don't discuss new features, report bugs, ask for support, et cetera. Don't use this to spam for other boards or attack those boards!
Forum rules
Discussion of general topics related to the new release and its place in the world. Don't discuss new features, report bugs, ask for support, et cetera. Don't use this to spam for other boards or attack those boards!
Pschilly

Re: Some Question

Post by Pschilly »

Yes PHP code is allowed, if you read the "Templating Guide" or some other name around there in the styles section... It says how to use it i do believe.

Ptirhiik_

Post by Ptirhiik_ »

psoTFX wrote:What is? Changing the template extension? The chances of it happening are near enough zero to as not be worth your time submitting.
Not changing for something qualified to another thing qualified (I'm not that's stupid and I've already heared you you prefer the html extension), but to let the system determines the extension name of the tpls for a template set. That's what I've submitted to the tracker. Doing so, you let the chance to the template designer to choose the best extension they consider be for their templates, from .htm, .html, .tpl, .xml, .xss to .meisgreat if they want. As there is absolutly no functional use in having .html as an extension, I think this wouldn't be a bad choice.

psoTFX

Post by psoTFX »

I used to subscribe to the same philosophy ... things change ;) Show me all the styles which use xml, indeed show me any style that isn't html/xhtml (that don't require modding). The extension was changed because a fair few people didn't know how (couldn't be bothered, whatever) to associate .tpl with their editors. Some of those that did didn't know (or couldn't for whatever reason) have their editor deal appropriately with files having .tpl extensions.

As I've said many many times ... we have a great many users, we don't code purely for designers, users, admins, blah. Ultimately it was my belief that altering the extension to .html would remove the problem for those that couldn't "use" .tpl ... while those that could would no doubt have the ability to alter their editors to cope appropriately.

Ptirhiik_

Post by Ptirhiik_ »

I'm not sure setting a direct handled-by-browsers extension is better, especially regarding javascript that may be included in, but anyway why not. The idea here was more to de-qualified the extension in all scripts, just as you did for the script files, and letting open the ability to have something else than .html. As the extension of the tpl files can be - I may be wrong - easely add to the template configuration information, and assuming it is the same for all tpl files in a style, it would simply convey to everybody : .html afficionados and .tpl fans and .wap addict : it would only be a question of setting the good parameter to the template configuration.

benchayeel

Post by benchayeel »

What about doing it kinda of like you do the .php extension in extinsion.inc. Anotherwords dont hard code the template extension use a variable that can be easily changed. In this way you can have it defualt to .html as you all feel is apropriate, but those that ant it to be something else like .tpl can just rename the files and update this variable.

psoTFX

Post by psoTFX »

erm, that's exactly what he said ;)

And as I've pretty much already said the answer is "I don't want to". If I did I would've selected this way from the beginning. Allowing for independent setting of the extension will complicate things @ http://www.phpbb.com" target="_blank (demoing styles, uploading styles, verifying styles, blah) and no doubt (no doubt whatsoever) increase support requests for styling ("I downloaded X template and it has a different extensions to y template set! What's up with that??!", "Why don't all templates have the same extension? I have to keep changing my editor to cope with it!", blah blah).

Believe me, when you maintain a piece of software where the users cannot even read the userguide ... let alone understand the why's and wherefore's of this sort of thing ... you'll want to keep it as consistent as possible too :)

benchayeel

Post by benchayeel »

I understand what you are sying. And its true, the support issue is a big one. Like I said previously I am not to woried as I can change it to whatever I like so no big deal. Maybe I will make a MOD for those that want to change it. :D

haravikk

Post by haravikk »

psoTFX wrote:"I downloaded X template and it has a different extensions to y template set! What's up with that??!", "Why don't all templates have the same extension? I have to keep changing my editor to cope with it!"
Couldn't the template.cfg specify the extension?
Images in sigs! please.

psoTFX

Post by psoTFX »

You're not reading what I've said ... if there are two dozen templates with two dozen different extensions you would need to setup your editor to cope with them all. I also don't think people are taking me seriously when I say there are no plans to alter this.

haravikk

Post by haravikk »

Oh, somehow I read editor as board :)
Images in sigs! please.