Idea for internationalisation

Discussion of general topics related to the new version and its place in the world. Don't discuss new features, report bugs, ask for support, et cetera. Don't use this to spam for other boards or attack those boards!
Forum rules
Discussion of general topics related to the new release and its place in the world. Don't discuss new features, report bugs, ask for support, et cetera. Don't use this to spam for other boards or attack those boards!
Matthijs

Idea for internationalisation

Post by Matthijs »

Wouldn't it be cool if there was a little script at phpBB.com that would allow users to input a few basic things about their language (like f.i. LTR/RTL, encoding) and then be able to generate (with the use of a PHP script, appropriate TTF fonts and GD library) on the fly language pack buttons for phpBB. Also, using a tool similar to my translation tool, the other language files could be generated and the user could generate their own language pack, complete with standard template images. Later, support for other popular templates could be added...

Just thinking out loud here, but this might be really interesting for phpBB 2.2. Of course this will not be something done by the development team, but by an outsider (I'm not volunteering here, I would definately be able to do it, but don't think I will have the time). What do you programmers out there think?

If this has been discussed before @ phpBB.com style forums, I'm sorry, but I don't visit these very often.

[edit]Hmm... maybe one of the mods can move this to the styling subforum, obviously hit the post button too eagerly[/edit]
Member of the phpBB Converter Development Team
Developer of the vBulletin 2.x.x -> phpBB 2.0.x Converter

SocomVengeance

Re: Idea for internationalisation

Post by SocomVengeance »

Sounds interesting.....to me.....but i dont understand......

Bertg

Re: Idea for internationalisation

Post by Bertg »

i say this would be handy...
But again it takes some coding, and time...

annyone up for this?

-bert-
Portfolio | Proud to be phpBB user