Community Development

Want to share what MODs you've gotten to work with EM? Happy about all the time your're saving? Want to say "thanks"? Here's the place.
Forum rules
DO NOT give out any FTP passwords to anyone! There is no reason to do so! If you need help badly enough, create a temporary FTP account that is restricted to only the files that you need help with and give the information for that. Giving out FTP information can be very dangerous!
Nuttzy99

Community Development

Post by Nuttzy99 »

There are lots of things remaining to code for EM and I want to get this project out the door! I have every intention on working on the really meaty issues myself, but there are certain other parts of the project that are less crucial but still very much needed, will be time consuming to code, and I don't want to slow down release of EM b/c we are waiting for me to code things that someone else easily could be.

So if you go to the War Room subforum in the EM Dev forum you will find the first two Community Dev projects where I'm looking to open up some development to the community. I'll be looking for a lead developer for each project and if that person wants to add on more people then it is up to them. Running things as a community project I think will yield faster results and get people thinking about issues that could otherwise be overlooked.

I would even consider opening the entire project up to Community Development, but we'll take baby steps for now ;) Go see if you can help!

-Nuttzy :cool:
SpellingCow.com - Free spell check service for your forums or any web form!
My Other Site

Nuttzy99

Re: Community Development

Post by Nuttzy99 »

After my near 2 months away from coding interest in EM has fallen off as you would expect. Though I suspect that once 0.0.11 is released that things will pick up again. After Beta1 is released then interest will probably reach new heights :D So as far as community dev goes, I wouldn't be surprise if things don't really heat up until beta1 is out.

Of course I'd love to see progress before then ;)

My Other Site

Ptirhiik

Post by Ptirhiik »

Actualy, there are many points that I could hand with regarding the interface, but at least I would prefer first to see where you want to go with this point.

Nuttzy99

Post by Nuttzy99 »

In my opinion, the interface as you see it now needs a lot of work. Especially the final page of installing a MOD needs a lot of work to convey to the user what errors where encountered and what they need to do. As has been discussed, the first page also needs to a better job of encouraging backups and presenting them with the idea of trying things out first in a test environment.

Ptirhiik, based on the MODs you've written and discussions we've had, I have a lot of respect for you. If you have anything you'd be interested in contributing I'm all ears :mrgreen:

My Other Site

MikeR

Post by MikeR »

A couple of suggestions...(may have already been stated/looked at)

Easymod already looks at the website, so mabe have it search for the files in phpbb (index.php) and auto insert the ftp address.

Make the final page "printable" or "saveable" in a text document. This way, if there are errors, they can be printed or saved so that the installer can have a way of remembering.

Make easymod look up and insert template names. (I just installed a mod and had to go change template names)

Also, if easymod doesn't see the actual default values/text, it calls an error. So mabe it would look for simular/partof text if it can't find the default.

These are very miner things, but would make easymod even easier.

chickeneater

Post by chickeneater »

suggestions go in the suggestions sub-sub-sub forum