Why not as clearly in the administration as vBB, WBB etc.. ?

Discuss features as they are added to the new version. Give us your feedback. Don't post bug reports, feature requests, support questions or suggestions here.
Forum rules
Discuss features as they are added to the new version. Give us your feedback. Don't post bug reports, feature requests, support questions or suggestions here. Feature requests are closed.
A_Jelly_Doughnut

Re: Why not as clearly in the administration as vBB, WBB etc

Post by A_Jelly_Doughnut »

Code: Select all

<?php
if ($vB_price == $UBB_threads_price)
{
echo('Aexoden is wrong');
}
$vB_price = 129;
$UBB_threads_price = 129;
?>
But you are right. phpBB Support < vB support. I know one of the guys who does support for UBB, and he knows a lot more about UBB than I do phpBB. Of course, he has written a couple convertors and several MODs, and is hired to admin/upgrade/hack about 50 boards, but that is the difference between volunteerism and "I-get-paid-to-do-this-all-day".

This is nothing against the support team, it is just a simple fact.
A_Jelly_Doughnut

Aexoden

Post by Aexoden »

A_Jelly_Doughnut wrote:

Code: Select all

<?php
if ($vB_price == $UBB_threads_price)
{
echo('Aexoden is wrong');
}
$vB_price = 129;
$UBB_threads_price = 129;
?>
As far as I can see, a UBB.threads license is $229, and OpenTopic is, well, they make you request a quote (in my quick check). However, Infopop is catering primarily to the corporate market, and depending on just how expensive OpenTopic is, it is probably a better deal for companies that can't or won't pay for their own IT personnel. In terms of support, half the reason for support is gone since Infopop hosts it themselves.

Even so, vBulletin's support is nothing to scoff at. I've read plenty reports about their support being good, though I haven't had cause to try it myself. It just goes with the territory. They wouldn't be able to charge those license fees (which are small change to companies, but some serious cash for the average person, or at least something you won't buy on a whim) without providing a decent level of support. With phpBB, you're paying nothing, and still receiving support. No, no one's going to talk you through the thing on the phone at 3 in the morning, but you can probably find someone on the forums that will at least post you through it.

I forgot what my point was, and I forgot what this has to do with this thread. I've forgotten what this thread was originally about. Oh wait, I recall, now. Sorry to have turned this so seriously into a support discussion.

It comes down to people choosing whatever product fits their needs. If you don't like one board's <insert feature here>, there are a dozen others to try, many free, some not. I think I'll stop trying to tie the whole thread together again. >.<

Techie-Micheal

Post by Techie-Micheal »

A_Jelly_Doughnut wrote:I know one of the guys who does support for UBB, and he knows a lot more about UBB than I do phpBB.
Seeing as how you aren't a Support Team member, that doesn't really mean much. :P Also, I'll note that the Support Team members know a lot more than they are allowed to show. ie, how to configure a server. I use allowed loosely by the way.

kerodeon

Post by kerodeon »

I would say the main reason people or organisations buy vBB instead of phpBB is that many people use phpbb, and if they use vBB, its like saying 'Look at me! Im special!'

Q:Jedi

Post by Q:Jedi »

a vbb user wrote:'Look at me! I'm special!'
oh yes. so special... your forum looks like it was coughed up by a dead rabbit :P

hehehe.

Q:Jedi

Post by Q:Jedi »

will they really offer support at 3am??? 8O

Arty
Former Team Member

Post by Arty »

Q:Jedi wrote:will they really offer support at 3am??? 8O
Probably they will.

Almost anyone will offer support at 3am if he would get payed to do that.

orca777

Post by orca777 »

Hi, i am new to phpBB;
But as i saw the boeards, and the development steps of the project
i wanted to stay at phpBB; For example i longer used like to deal with yabb SE, but phpBB seems to be more professional, for example it supports oracle
Mysql and MSSQL;

For free software extraordinary!

Orca
l 8)

Pschilly

Post by Pschilly »

MrAcuraIntegra wrote:Awww, don't listen to him! PhPBB is the best board out there, and it also provides the most bang for the amount you pay for it :P
I concur with that 150% :P

Blokker_1999

Post by Blokker_1999 »

the first board i ever visited was phpBB and it was good at that time. When i started to work with boards myself i chose phpBB. It was simple and easy to use. phpBB 2.0 was a good upgrade and i think 2.2 will be the best free board available. There is only 1 problem : i'm building my own template and i'll have to start all over again by the time it is finished :| .
But the administration of 2.0 is verry cleat in administration, 2.2 is a bit more difficult (i had to spend some time to find things that were changed from 2.0) and i think new users may get a bit scared at first. But the team found a good balance between functionality and features