[rejected] Check the whole mod for FIND-errors

Want to share what MODs you've gotten to work with EM? Happy about all the time your're saving? Want to say "thanks"? Here's the place.
Forum rules
DO NOT give out any FTP passwords to anyone! There is no reason to do so! If you need help badly enough, create a temporary FTP account that is restricted to only the files that you need help with and give the information for that. Giving out FTP information can be very dangerous!
espenhh

[rejected] Check the whole mod for FIND-errors

Post by espenhh »

When EasyMOD stop on a find-error I have to go to the MOD-script and fix that error. Then I have to upload the file, cross my fingers that now it is fine, but then a new FIND-error occur. My idea is:
Why don't you let EasyMOD continue with the rest of the MOD-script even when a FIND-error occur, so it makes a list of changes you have to fix. Then you can fix everyone at one time, and you don't have to upload the file and parse it MANY times.

Do you understand me (bad english ;))

Maybe this change is too big and difficult, but it would be great!

Thanks...
Espen

(Huge thanks to the phpBB-developers!!!)

Need Norwegian support????

wGEric

Re: Check the whole mod for FIND-errors

Post by wGEric »

This is a reason for having a preview mode which is already going to be added in 0.0.11. That way you can fix all of the problems before installing the MOD.
Eric

Nuttzy99

Re: Check the whole mod for FIND-errors

Post by Nuttzy99 »

EM looks through a file sequentially. If it can't find something then that means it has hit the end of the file. I can't just start again at the top of the file b/c things could get out of order.

Not a bad idea, but it just is not possible. Besides, things will get better once the EMC standards are out and Authors are using them :wink:

-Nuttzy 8)
SpellingCow.com - Free spell check service for your forums or any web form!
My Other Site

GPHemsley

Re: [rejected] Check the whole mod for FIND-errors

Post by GPHemsley »

Nuttzy, you missed the idea. :P

The idea was that EasyMOD try processing the whole MOD before dying and reporting only the first error. The idea was to report all errors so you only have to go back to fix them once. ;)

Nuttzy99

Post by Nuttzy99 »

What I am saying that once something is not found in a file then I can't do anything else with that file. I could move on to other files though. But I think this would be very confusing to some people. Remember, we aren't always dealing with the sharpest knives in the draw :wink:

But as wgeric points out, the preview mode is probably a good place to implement this.

-Nuttzy :cool:
My Other Site

GPHemsley

Post by GPHemsley »

Nuttzy99 wrote:What I am saying that once something is not found in a file then I can't do anything else with that file.
Oh, OK, I see what you're saying...
Nuttzy99 wrote:I could move on to other files though. But I think this would be very confusing to some people. Remember, we aren't always dealing with the sharpest knives in the draw :wink:
Where is that knife sharpener?? *spots list of laws and a box of matches* Oh, there it is.... :twisted:
Nuttzy99 wrote:But as wgeric points out, the preview mode is probably a good place to implement this.

Yeah, I guess so. :P

espenhh

Post by espenhh »

Nuttzy99 wrote:But as wgeric points out, the preview mode is probably a good place to implement this.
OK :D

But what really is the differense wbetween the planned "preview mode", and step one...???... Sure you have explained it, but I can't remember... :?
Espen

Nuttzy99

Post by Nuttzy99 »

Through your webbrowser the changes that are proposed to be made will be visible and highlighted whereas currently you would need edit the intermediate files and try to search for the changes.

-Nuttzy 8)
My Other Site

espenhh

Post by espenhh »

Nuttzy99 wrote:Through your webbrowser the changes that are proposed to be made will be visible and highlighted whereas currently you would need edit the intermediate files and try to search for the changes.

-Nuttzy 8)
Nice!!! :D
Espen

Xore

Post by Xore »

Just out of curiousity, can't you keep track of where your current filepointer is, store a copy of it or something perhaps, and if you hit the end of the file while still searching, revert to your backup filepointer, skip the bork FIND, and go onto the next?

my fileaccess php skillz are not l33t...

perhaps this suggestion is redundant...