[considering] choose the action to done/not done

Want to share what MODs you've gotten to work with EM? Happy about all the time your're saving? Want to say "thanks"? Here's the place.
Forum rules
DO NOT give out any FTP passwords to anyone! There is no reason to do so! If you need help badly enough, create a temporary FTP account that is restricted to only the files that you need help with and give the information for that. Giving out FTP information can be very dangerous!
morpheus2matrix

[considering] choose the action to done/not done

Post by morpheus2matrix »

Hi Nuttzy,

i've thought about a feature that, i think, could be interested :
having the possibilities to choose which action (and, in the future, which SQL Request) could be execute by EasyMod.

This could be done by using checkboxes : if a checkbox is marked, then the query/action will be executed, otherqis, action will be passed.

I think it should be a good idea because like this, if an installation of a MOD crash only because there is one or two actions not valid, you could always make the modifications for this two action yourself.

What do you think about this ?
phpBB MOD-Team Member - Check my MOD's

Support For my MOD's

Attachment MOD User Guide || Log Actions MOD User Guide

No support by PM/Email - Thanks - You want to help me ? Click here

GPHemsley

Re: Suggestion : choose the action to done/not done

Post by GPHemsley »

This sounds like a good idea, but it'd probably be best to have them all checked by default. And then it would also have to make a list at the end of all the actions that weren't processed. Maybe even offer to put them in a text file for you..... :idea:

Nuttzy99

Post by Nuttzy99 »

This is already the way the SQL commands are coded. As for the other commands, I do think something is needed. I'll think about it :wink:

-Nuttzy :cool:
SpellingCow.com - Free spell check service for your forums or any web form!
My Other Site

morpheus2matrix

Post by morpheus2matrix »

GPHemsley wrote:This sounds like a good idea, but it'd probably be best to have them all checked by default. And then it would also have to make a list at the end of all the actions that weren't processed. Maybe even offer to put them in a text file for you..... :idea:
yes, good ideas
phpBB MOD-Team Member - Check my MOD's

Support For my MOD's

Attachment MOD User Guide || Log Actions MOD User Guide

No support by PM/Email - Thanks - You want to help me ? Click here

wGEric

Re: [considering] choose the action to done/not done

Post by wGEric »

This would be a good feature. Say you have a MOD that you are trying to install but the the action that is trying to be done can't be done since another MOD has edited that part of the code. So instead of having to go into the install file for the MOD and delete the lines for that action you can just choose not to have the action perform. Then you can do the action on your own since you will have to figure out the changes.

This would be good but probably won't be needed if everyone follows the EasyMOD standards since there shouldn't be any conflicts.
Eric

MrStormyNights

Post by MrStormyNights »

Another great reason to do this would be style changes. Say I get tired of my forums old look and decide to change styles.

Apart from the fact I need to get EasyMod installed first in the new templates for that style, How would I go about just makeing the template chages for the new style and not affect the non- template code, since its already done.

AlleyKat

Post by AlleyKat »

Hmmm I'd have to agree with MrStormyNights, a "run this (these) MOD(s) on this template" could be very handy.

Were it possible to have EM report all suggested file changes before committing them? Example,

"EasyMOD completed installation of this MOD. Below are file statistics:

x PHP files changed
x files changed in template XX
x files changed in template XY

Following files will be moved into place now:
(list of files)"

Sorry if some of this already exist :wink: I'm a version or 3 behind right now hehe...

And an OT thing (Nuttzy don't read - go document :mrgreen: ) - why can't I get the extra BBCodes to show flyover help in privmsg. when it works fine in posting? Posted here - thanks for any help on this detail.
"This is the place where the sun don't shine"

MrStormyNights

Post by MrStormyNights »

I would like to expand on this idea a little, I considered making a new thread, but it is similar in nature as this suggestion.

As it is now, if you have multiple style templates installed it will try to make changes to all of them based on the [ OPEN ] for the subSilver template. This is nice,for the most part, especially when it works for all of the styles, but it also causes warnings for things it can't find due to style template differences.

What I have been doing is adding a section just prior to the subSilver template for the template that causes the warning with the corrected find and action. However since the default of EasyMod is to look at all style templates when it finds subSilver, it still gives the error. It would be nice if you had an [ OPEN ONLY ] tag that would cause EasyMod not to look at any other style templates than the one the [ OPEN ONLY ] tag is referencing.

This way I could include lines for my template differances and not get the warnings I already have added code in the mod to address.

netclectic

Post by netclectic »

I don't like the OPEN ONLY idea so much, i think the best way would be just to make it an option to attempt the other styles, maybe list the styles with checkboxes.

GPHemsley

Post by GPHemsley »

netclectic wrote:I don't like the OPEN ONLY idea so much, i think the best way would be just to make it an option to attempt the other styles, maybe list the styles with checkboxes.
Yes, and then, if you were to include lines for other styles along with the subSilver lines, then you could uncheck the ones you included lines for. OPEN ONLY is too awkwardly weird.... :?