Feature Requests/Bug Reports/Support Requests solution

Want to chit chat about anything, do it here ... posting here won't increase your post count (or shouldn't!). Please do not post any "phpBB" specific topics here unless they do not fit into the category above. Do not post bug reports, feature or support requests!
Forum rules
Please do not post any "phpBB" specific topics here unless they do not fit into the category above.

Do not post bug reports, feature or support requests! No really... Do not post bug reports, feature or support requests! Doing so will make Bertie a very sad bear indeed. :(
electronerd

Feature Requests/Bug Reports/Support Requests solution

Post by electronerd »

I have an idea to thwart feature requests and bug reports.

Make a new forum in the 'phpBB 2.x' category. Call it 'Feature Requests/Bug Reports/Support Requests'. Set permissions to: All users can: post new topics, view topics; All Users CANNOT: post replies, or anything else.

Then: set it to prune all topics 1 day old every 1 day.

electronerd

Re: Feature Requests/Bug Reports/Support Requests solution

Post by electronerd »

Sorry about double post, but edit went away :cry:

One could also put 'Release Date Requests' in the title

Trek

Post by Trek »

hehehe, I like it :)
Miguel
http://community.34sp.com" target="_blank
http://www.miguel.me.uk" target="_blank | http://www.sfcommand.co.uk" target="_blank | http://www.ssdg.org.uk" target="_blank
Hardware: The parts of a computer system that can be kicked

andrew johnson

Post by andrew johnson »

i agree that place where i could request fix on search members
i love valentino rossi = it COOOL
TEST test test test

psoTFX

Post by psoTFX »

This is alpha quality software ... I don't understand why you'd even be requesting a "fix" ...

electronerd

Post by electronerd »

andrew johnson wrote:i agree that place where i could request fix on search members
I think you missed the point. The net effect of this is redirecting feature, support, bugfix and relese date requests to /dev/null :!:

electronerd

Post by electronerd »

Sorry about the double post, but the edit option expired again.

I have another idea: A Mod which allows anyone with the necessary permissions to force a user to view certain pieces of text (like FAQ topics).

This would be implemented as a Mod, not as part of the Core, as it is unlikely to have the widespread appeal required to warrant inclusion in the Core.

Now before you all start whining about this not being the right place for Mod/Feature requests, I plan on writing such a Mod myself, once 2.2 is a little more interface-stable.

In order for such a system to be effective, I would think it would need to have at least some of the following traits:
  • The text must replace ALL pages of phpBB, except result pages(like the 'Success' page you get after posting), when triggered
  • There must be multiple pieces of text defineable
  • They must be selectable singly or as a group
  • When triggered, each should display on a separate page
  • There should be a mnimum time that must pass between display and continuing on to normal viewing of phpBB pages enforced at the server
  • That minimum should be extendable by whoever triggers it.
I plan to implement all these features, as well as an option to automatically trigger certain entries (defined by the administrator) on new user registration

Another neat, but nonessential, feature would be to suggest a minimum time based on the length of the message (like the UNIX fortune command can)

[EDIT: I also realize that this won't happen on this board, since there are no Mods on it.]

psoTFX

Post by psoTFX »

No feature requests, suggestions, hints, tips, whatever ...

Lugie

Post by Lugie »

I've gathered that the only things accepted here are ideas of alternate ways for coding phpBB, suggestions on different database designs, et cetera, that improve performance of the overall script.

Those are about the only things I haven't seen shot down aside from encouragement and all that hum-jum/riff-raff. :)
I can't see the meaning of this life I'm leading,
I try forget you as you forgot me...
This time there is nothing left for you to take -
this is goodbye...

psoTFX

Post by psoTFX »

Well this forum is designed for basic "Chit Chat" much as the General Chat forum @ http://www.phpbb.com." target="_blank Feature requests posted here are dislike because a) they get lost in the noise, b) typically result in duplication and c) do not allow for any kind of internal tracking.

Equally "disliked" are topics which say "Well, this isn't really a feature request more a 'change of emphasis' ... " or "This isn't a suggestion it's just an idea" :)

At some point soon I'll clear the request tracker of all items that are on our internal milestone list and re-open it. However, as I've already noted we've got a lot to get through with what we have already ... so the chances of many (any?) additional suggestions making it into 2.2 are slight unless they are trully unique, extremely useful or small enough to integrate into the codebase as we progress it.