Are nested tables evil?

Want to chit chat about anything, do it here ... posting here won't increase your post count (or shouldn't!). Please do not post any "phpBB" specific topics here unless they do not fit into the category above. Do not post bug reports, feature or support requests!
Forum rules
Please do not post any "phpBB" specific topics here unless they do not fit into the category above.

Do not post bug reports, feature or support requests! No really... Do not post bug reports, feature or support requests! Doing so will make Bertie a very sad bear indeed. :(
Adam Atlas

Re: Are nested tables evil?

Post by Adam Atlas »

I don't see what's wrong with nested tables, and a fully CSS-controlled layout will limit browser compatibility.
fun, sigs work!!!

A_Jelly_Doughnut

Post by A_Jelly_Doughnut »

Only 4.x browsers..
A_Jelly_Doughnut

psoTFX

Post by psoTFX »

/me notes that "officially" NS4 and even NS6 have been deemed "dead and buried" by Netscape. Anyone still running NS4.x as their primary or only browser has serious issues that need the skills of a good psychotherapist :)

A_Jelly_Doughnut

That means my school. I can't even look at my own website there!
A_Jelly_Doughnut

Adam Atlas

Post by Adam Atlas »

Ok, fine, but could someone explain what's actually wrong with nested tables?
fun, sigs work!!!

dhn

Post by dhn »

Adam Atlas wrote:Ok, fine, but could someone explain what's actually wrong with nested tables?
Semantics. A pretty good analogy is to say you are writing a letter in Excel instead of Word when you are working with nested tables. Believe it or not but semantics are important for browser compatibility, accessibility and even a must for a decent workflow. Just imagine a blind person accessing the web. Did you ever look at the source code for a site completely done it tables? :) Compare this to the source code of a site like this (ddblog.org, still in development) or this (lambcutlet.org).
Tables are not evil, they just should only be used for what they are good for, tabulated data.

But thanks to M$ I guess it'll take a long time until we will finally have a web which actually will fully benefit from this. :(

A_Jelly_Doughnut

At least not until the next Windows, according to the lead IE developer. According to Dvorak, that'll be 2010 :D
A_Jelly_Doughnut

Aexoden

Post by Aexoden »

The problem is that for layouts that don't need overlapping elements (as in almost every design I've ever come up with), tables by accident make a great page layout tool. With a couple of changes, they'd be perfect. Of course, then you lose the whole separating content from layout... but I'd almost rather see a comprehensive layout language, instead of faking it by assigning everything an ID and then styling the ID appropriately. That said, there are only two reasons I'd consider nested tables over CSS at the moment. 1) Browser compatibility (it's no small task to get pixel perfect layouts when the most common browser incorrectly implements the box model, and I hate using that trick.) 2) CSS doesn't yet have a way to vertically center content within a div. If you know the size beforehand, you can do negative margins and do it, but I'm talking about any potentially dynamic content that changes size. It's trivial to do with tables, but CSS dies.

A_Jelly_Doughnut

That could be a problem, couldn't it.
A_Jelly_Doughnut

bleak

Post by bleak »

I help to maintain the Mensa website, which has nested tables in abundance. IMO, the worst thing about nested tables is keeping track of where each one ends.