Suggestion: Passworded forum replacement

Discuss features as they are added to the new version. Give us your feedback. Don't post bug reports, feature requests, support questions or suggestions here.
Forum rules
Discuss features as they are added to the new version. Give us your feedback. Don't post bug reports, feature requests, support questions or suggestions here. Feature requests are closed.
parry60

Suggestion: Passworded forum replacement

Post by parry60 »

Typing in a password to get to a certain forum can get quite repetitive, especially if you jump around to different forums, right?
Well, here's my idea.
Instead of having password-protected forums, you should have password-protected usergroups. This way, to join a usergroup, you must enter a password, and then that usergroup could have permissions to access the passworded forum.
-----BEGIN GEEK CODE BLOCK-----
GCS d- s:- a---- C++++ UL++++ P+ L+++ E- W+++ N+ o K+ w---
O- M+ V-- PS+++ PE-- Y+ PGP t 5 X R tv-- b++ DI+ D+
G e-- h! r-- y
------END GEEK CODE BLOCK------

Sheps

Re: Suggestion: Passworded forum replacement

Post by Sheps »

I like the idea of the password protected forum
Sheps

http://www.sheppard-design.com
webmaster@sheppard-design.com

"Divine intervention is unlikely"

Linkooseven

Post by Linkooseven »

I like the Passworded forum...

But you should be posting suggestions etc at the Tracker--located at SourgeForge.

hmueller

Post by hmueller »

Hello,

by they way - is it planned to include a "wrong password error" in 2.2 (i mean: three times the wrong password --> auto-ban for the next 24 hours or so)???
Best regards,

Hans

Heimidal

Post by Heimidal »

hmueller wrote:Hello,

by they way - is it planned to include a "wrong password error" in 2.2 (i mean: three times the wrong password --> auto-ban for the next 24 hours or so)???
What's the point? If they don't have the right password, they can't access their account anyway. Why ban them when they could potentially figure out the right password on the next try?

haravikk

Post by haravikk »

People trying to guess it I suppose, or even bots which try different passwords over and over again? Personally I don't think a ban would solve it if someone was trying to hack the account, anyone could potentially ban a user by putting in wrong passwords. Better to have it brought to the admin's attention that the account has had X password attempts in the past Y hours/days.
Or even, after so many password attempts the user will recieve their password through e-mail, basically an automatic "forgot my password", all further password attempts can't trigger another e-mail (to stop someone spamming using this).
Images in sigs! please.

Adam Atlas

Post by Adam Atlas »

haravikk wrote:Or even, after so many password attempts the user will recieve their password through e-mail, basically an automatic "forgot my password", all further password attempts can't trigger another e-mail (to stop someone spamming using this).
It would be basically impossible to do this- the passwords are stored encrypted, using a one-way digest algorithm (MD5), which can't be decrypted (except by using an extremely time-consuming, CPU-intensive brute-force cracking process).
fun, sigs work!!!

Shining Arcanine

Post by Shining Arcanine »

hmueller wrote:Hello,

I like this idea. It will keep people from attempting to hack accounts. After all, if you are too stupid to type your password in correctly 3 times in a row, you deserve to be autobanned for a day. :lol:
Adam Atlas wrote:
haravikk wrote:Or even, after so many password attempts the user will recieve their password through e-mail, basically an automatic "forgot my password", all further password attempts can't trigger another e-mail (to stop someone spamming using this).
It would be basically impossible to do this- the passwords are stored encrypted, using a one-way digest algorithm (MD5), which can't be decrypted (except by using an extremely time-consuming, CPU-intensive brute-force cracking process).
Then I would love to know how phpBB 2.04's "I forgot my password" feature works.

benchayeel

Post by benchayeel »

It allows you to reset you password, It does not send you your current password

psoTFX

Post by psoTFX »

/me notes (again) that no requests should be posted here ;)

The problem with the three strikes method as outlined here is the inconvenience it causes to users. There are more than a few people who would simply go through the user list trying random passwords causing people trouble.

Even the alternative of some timed ban can be rather irritating, but wrt this we'll see.