Printable Version

Discussion of general topics related to the new version and its place in the world. Don't discuss new features, report bugs, ask for support, et cetera. Don't use this to spam for other boards or attack those boards!
Forum rules
Discussion of general topics related to the new release and its place in the world. Don't discuss new features, report bugs, ask for support, et cetera. Don't use this to spam for other boards or attack those boards!
ionsurge

Printable Version

Post by ionsurge »

Very nice...

BooTeK

Printable Version

Post by BooTeK »

This printable version feature could also be accomplished by utilizing CSS (set media to print). Correct me if I'm wrong.

I can understand the choice to hardcode this feature, more users may benefit from it this way. (i.e. browsers without CSS support)

But isn’t it true that in the future features like this will become… how shall it say this… less needed because of CSS and other future developments?

I know... kind of looking in the future but the thought of it just intrigued me... Imagine the possibilities...

TheMole

Printable Version

Post by TheMole »

Ummm, it does use CSS..

Just it's inline at the minute, but I imagine they'll put it in an external file at some point.

DanielJarrett

Printable Version

Post by DanielJarrett »

BooTeK means getting rid of the printable page totally, and just having a special stylesheet for printing, with the media attribute set to "print".

I personally think it's too early to do that kind of thing on such a widely used script as a message board. It's fine for someone's personal site or blog, but too many people using old browsers use phpBB.

BTW, does anyone have a list of which browsers support print stylesheets, just out of curiosity?

psoTFX

Printable Version

Post by psoTFX »

erm, unless I've missed something you can't do what you want to do purely via a CSS ... the view as printable page "cleans up the output". It does away with generating various elements such as profile, www, etc. links, avatars, extraneous images, headers, footers, etc. ... all the stylesheet would do is change the basic appearance, not the layout.

eXplosive

Printable Version

Post by eXplosive »

It can happen with CSS. Only if phpBB was built more off of div tags instead of tables though.

Check out http://www.sitepoint.com in print preview mode. The header, left nav, right nav, and footer are gone.

psoTFX

Printable Version

Post by psoTFX »

I see ... PS: you don't need to enclose url's in bbcode, never have ... they should be parsed automatically (assuming the parser isn't broken today).

BooTeK

Printable Version

Post by BooTeK »

Mmm, looking at the reaction it could be possible to achieve something similar to the "printable version feature" of phpBB2.2 but it would not be as flexible and easy to use. For example users would not know that printed pages may look "cleaner" (no images, less color etc.) than the version on screen.

Also looking at browsers, it is true that we are not there yet looking at acceptance and support of CSS. So I think the choice for doing it the way it is done now is the right way.

I would like to make clear that I really like the way the next version of your phpBB is going, and that you are doing a great job.

eXplosive

Printable Version

Post by eXplosive »

Yea I noticed I typed in the bbcode after I submitted. To bad we can’t edit post yet (or don’t have permission to).

SilverSnake8

Printable Version

Post by SilverSnake8 »

quotes the botom of the page:
You can edit your posts in this forum

guess we just can't do it yet