plans for fulltext searching?

Discuss features as they are added to the new version. Give us your feedback. Don't post bug reports, feature requests, support questions or suggestions here.
Forum rules
Discuss features as they are added to the new version. Give us your feedback. Don't post bug reports, feature requests, support questions or suggestions here. Feature requests are closed.
dhn

Post by dhn »

Inspired by a recent discussion about this topic over at Bear's Spot about the efficiency and functionality of the search feature I wanted to abuse the new forum Paul created and make this half a feature request and half a discussion about the need for the propsed expansion.

I don't want to open a feature request as I don't really know if this is really necessary and worth the time implenting.

The search feature of phpBB 2.0.x is pretty powerful and good enough for me (at least for now). But there are of course people and communities who demand more than it can deliver at the moment. Full text search. :)

Full text search is tricky as it is very high on CPU and Users tend to abuse it. The way that it could be included is that if someone is looking for the sentence "God save the queen" e.g., phpBB first searches the searchindex tables for posts that have all the words included in the text and if the number of these posts is lower than an admin definable amount of posts, a full text search just on these posts is made. Of course full text search should be optional and any admin should be able to disable it.

Paul, you said that you and Ash were thinking about it. Are there any news?
Last edited by dhn on Sun Nov 17, 2002 1:07 am, edited 2 times in total.

psoTFX

Post by psoTFX »

You're a little confused there dhn :) fulltext is, or should be, less testing on a system ... "all" we have to do when searching for words is scan an indexed table (and do a little logic if boolean values are required). It is "per post" searching (as implemented in 1.x for example) that is more taxing ... imagine having to search the post text of all relevant entries.

The suggestion you've made is pretty much what I want to look @ doing (even if the terms are a little confused!).

dhn

Post by dhn »

Whoops, it seems I was a little confused when I wrote this. :) But you got what I meant and I am glad to hear that this might have a chance of getting implented.

/me logs off to think about other ways to postpone the 2.2 release

BartVB
Trapped inside rank factory, send help!

Post by BartVB »

BTW do you have an URL for that topic at the Bearspot?

dhn

Post by dhn »

BartVB
Trapped inside rank factory, send help!

Post by BartVB »

Thanks!